• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

John Deere 318 engine rebuild?

Wanderer

Any one know much about these 1980's JD engines? I believe it's an Onan but I'll have to look again.

It's my Mom's tractor and after a repair to the PTO in the shop they diagnosed the excess oil on the engine as blow by from the cylinders being worn out.

They say that engine is no longer available but can fit a different one in there at a cost of $3000 plus $500 labor!!! No mention of a rebuild option.

I figure a small engine shop should be able to fix this thing up for a lot less. Is there one on the north side anyone would recommend to call?

I can't imagine there wouldn't be parts available for this.

I'd assume that since it's a John Deere, you went to Isanti Co. Equipment?

$3,500 is pretty high, considering I had a 31 hp diesel blow in a Kubota mower and it was $4,000 for a crate engine installed.

I can't think of the name right now, but there's a guy on the north side of Forest Lake, on the west side of 61 as you're going into town from Wyoming, right next door to Hallberg Mini Storage.

He's very reasonable, it's where I take all my out of warranty equipment.

That Onan was a great engine and the 318 was and still is a sought after model. I wouldn't want to dump $3,500 into one to fix it though. You can buy another used one for less than half of that and probably find a motor as well. Keep your eyes on the C list.

I'd assume that since it's a John Deere, you went to Isanti Co. Equipment?

I did. They're a sister store to Suburban Lawn Center in Ham Lake, where I've always had great luck. ICE was just more convenient this time.

The tractor will be coming home soon and I'll do my own compression test but I can believe that baby could use a rebuild. It's been well maintained but 20+ years old is 20+ years in I Sandy County.

I have a 318 also and usually conidered my Mom's to be a better runner than mine. This came as a total suprise - except for the fact that I've been noticing more blue smoke that last few times I mowed her yard.

ther's a small shop in st croix falls that deals with small engine repairs

great guy, honest as can be and knows his stuff.

i have had very good luck there.

if you want the number just let me know

Thanks J_68, and welcome to HSO. smile

I forgot my compression tester when I went to her house on Sunday to mow, so I still have to test it myself.

I watched the exhaust closely this time and didn't really notice any blue smoke coming directly out of the pipe, it was more like wafts of smoke being blown around by the running engine. The engine does need to be cleaned.

It ran fine, the PTO worked well and if this how the tractor runs at 15-30% compression, I think I could pull a camper with a fresh engine. There's just an ususual amount of oil film in places it shouldn't be.

J_68, my email is [email protected], if you would like to send the number. Lwnmwnman, I plan to contact the shop you mentioned as well. Just haven't had the time.

Thanks.

Quote:
There's just an ususual amount of oil film in places it shouldn't be.

Sounds like you might need to replace some gaskets. I would do a compression test, and if the cylinders test okay, I'd replace the leaky gaskets and call it good unless there is a cylinder that isn't firing. Onans are normally a very long lasting motor if routinely maintained. Onan was bought out by Cummins a few years back, so engine parts are only available from Cummins, and they are expensive. However, you should be able to rebuild the motor for a lot less than $3500 if you find the right shop.

Those 318s are one of the best tractors ever made. I rebuild my 317 two seasons ago and got parts from Pats small engine right in Isanti. They are on the north side of town in the industrial park. I think it was on E Dual rd? Do a google search on them and it will come up. I think they have a service dept too?