• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Blowing Livewell Fuses

folke2000

Can anyone help me where to look first....I keep blowing the fuse to my front livewell on my Lund Pro V. If I replace the fuse while on the trailer, the pump will pump, but when I put the boat in the water, it will blow the fuse in a matter of seconds. Do I need to pull the floor up around the livewell to access the pump, or look elsewhere?

Thanks for any suggestions, as I do not really know where to start.

Folke

I'm not familiar with that boat but most pumps are down in the back attached to the transom. Then hose runs from there up to your live wells. Bilge pump should be down there too so make sure your checking the right one. Sounds like maybe the seal is out in the pump and letting water get up in the motor and shorting it out. Don't know why else it would only do it while in the water.

It's very common to get a small grit of sand or something like that stuck in the impeller --- it's the most common reason for pumps to blow fuses. You need to get access to your pump, remove the impeller and clean it / flush the pump, and hopefully you'll be back in business.

My motor that is up front on my ProV is a recirculating pump to add air to the water and my rear pump is the one that fills my livewell with fresh water. If it is not clogged then there must be a short when you throw water into the mix.If you find that you have to replace the motor and it is in the rear make sure to take down the wire harness and pull the pump wires out of your drain plug hole as well as the new wires and make all your connections while the wires are on the outside of the boat. I cleaned everything up and then put on shrink tubing and soldered both wires and then pulled the shrink tubing over the joint and heated it up. Then its just a matter of pushing the wires in and pulling everything back into the harness. It gets to be a pain trying to work through the little hole with one hand.

Your livewell pumps are located either just in front of the rear storage compartments or just before the step up to the front deck. Look for a panel in the center of your boat that's about 1 1/2 feet or so long (not the really long one, that's the fuel tank). Pull the four screws up in the shorter panel and you'll have access to your livewell pumps. I agree with the others...there's either something stuck in the impeller or it's time for a new pump.

marine_man

Thanks for all the advise....I did just what Marineman said, and found the livewell pump just in front of the step up in the front of the boat. My boat is a 1996, and I think it's time to just replace the pump. It appears that the pump is hooked up to some sort of valve system that switches from fill to recirculating. Is there just the one pump for the livewell, and one pump in the back transom for a bilge? When making new connections, should I solder them together and run all new wires to the back of the boat, or can I use the existing wires connections?

Thank you all for helping a less than mechanically inclined boat owner. You guys rock.

Folke