• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jefferson trade to the Jazz being Finalized

JP Z

The Utah Jazz have finalized the terms of their expected trade with Minnesota to acquire big man Al Jefferson.

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune and The Associated Press reported Tuesday that the Jazz have agreed to send two future first-round picks to the Wolves in exchange for Jefferson. The deal is expected to be announced later Tuesday.

Jefferson

Sources told ESPN.com on Monday night that the Jazz and Timberwolves were on the verge of completing a trade that would slot Jefferson's contract into the $14 million trade exception that Utah created earlier this week in its sign-and-trade deal sending Carlos Boozer to the Chicago Bulls.

Jefferson came to the Timberwolves in 2007 as the main cog in the blockbuster deal that sent Kevin Garnett to the Boston Celtics. He averaged 23.1 points and 11 rebounds in the 50 games before he was injured in 2009.

Utah general manager Kevin O'Connor declined to comment when reached by phone on Tuesday, the AP reported.

Because its trade exception is large enough to absorb Jefferson's $13 million salary next season, Utah can complete a trade for Jefferson without sending back any players to the Wolves.

Sources with knowledge of Minnesota's thinking said Monday that the Wolves' main aim in shopping Jefferson in recent weeks has been securing multiple future first-round picks and taking back as little salary as possible.

In 2007, Minnesota general manager Kevin McHale sent Garnett to Boston for Jefferson, Sebastian Telfair, Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Theo Ratliff and two draft picks in a blockbuster deal that helped the Celtics form the bedrock of a team that has reached the NBA Finals in two of the last three years.

Things looked promising at the outset, with Jefferson signing a five-year, $65 million contract and averaging 21.0 points and 11.1 rebounds in his first season in Minnesota. He was pushing for the All-Star team in his second season, dominating offensively when he tore ligaments in his right knee in the final game before the break in New Orleans.

The Timberwolves have been shopping Jefferson for a few weeks now, holding out for the right deal until bigger name power forwards like Boozer, Amare Stoudemire, Chris Bosh and David Lee signed contracts. For all of his skill on offense, Jefferson has been a liability on defense for one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

The Wolves signed center Darko Milicic, agreed to terms with center Nikola Pekovic and traded for Michael Beasley to reshape a small front line into a bigger, and sleeker, unit that the team hopes will be able to get out and run the break much more effectively for coach Kurt Rambis.

By Marc Stein

ESPN.com

Hopefully they are unconditional first round picks. I like the trades Kahn has made (Beasley, Webster, Jefferson) but I don't think much of the FA signings or lack thereof. No one else was chasing Darko yet he still offers $20 million.

Jefferson did the right things with this organization, took on a lot of responsibility coming in after KG. I don't think he's a first tier kind of guy, but I admire the hard work he put in. He didn't sign a max deal with the wolves, because he felt like he hadn't earned it. Then he got the DUI and blew out his knee and things haven't been the same. I really wish him the best in Utah. Hopefully he can flourish like Boozer did. The Jazz have always been competitive so it's not like the Wolves are looking at a #1 pick any time soon unless Deron Williams has a career-threatening injury.

There was a bunch of protection for those picks: The protections are top 14 in 2011, top 12 in 2012, top 10 in 2013 and top nine in 2014 and 2015.

But we do have Utah's pick, Memphis' Pick, and our own. However, we still owe the Clippers an unprotected pick from the Jaric deal (thanks Mac)

Yeah, with the picks protected, it isn't a GREAT deal, but I think it is a good deal. The teams interested in Big Al and with enough cap space were very few, so to get a couple of picks was a nice move....

If they can move sessions now, THEN I will have to start thinking this Kahn guy might not be so bad.....