• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailer angle

T-water

Okay so after nearly losing my boat and trailer due to the trailer tearing behind the coupler, I started wondering if the angle the boat sit. at when being trailed makes much of a distance. Currently it sits perfectly plane which seems right... Let me know whats right.

Are you asking if the tongue should be level?

With the trailer connected to the tow vehicle the trailer tongue should be level.

Another point to consider and often overlooked is tongue weight. The trailer tongue weight at the hitch should be about 10-15% of the total trailer load. Too much tongue weight can cause braking and/or steering problems by putting down pressure on the tow vehciles rear end. Too light and the trailer may tend to sway.

Ok, you've got my curiosity up, do you have pictures of the trailer? I would like to see how the trailer tore. Seems a little odd, and unless it's something homebuilt with a bad design deal, sounds like a fluke with bad/defective materials etc...

The tongue should be level but in a pinch, you can change the amount of tongue weight by raising your hitch. This can be accomplished by using a hitch with less of a drop or inverting it.

When I used to drive tow trucks, it was amazing how much traction we lost with a vehicle (especially heavier ones) on the back. Trailers are pretty much the same, putting more weight on your back tires and bringing your front ones a little higher off the road.

I'd take a picture but It's already been welded, the tear started on both undersides right behind the receiver by the time i looked at it there was only about 1.5 inches of metal on the top and it was really bent. I think the problem is that a 1 7/8 inch reciever was retrofitted on the trailer. I think the steel was just too thin and the over time it just gave.

So now I'm planning on having a 2 inch thicker gauge receiver...just not sure how to go about it, gonna call some boat repair shops in the AM for some advice would love some ideas from anybody who knows someone I could call in the metro.