• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fertilizer & Heat

CJH

So, haven't gotten around to putting down my second application of fertilizer this year yet (after the starter/crabgrass preventer), usually do it around Memorial Day. So, I was planning on doing it this week, but with the hot weather coming and heading into the hottest part of the summer, do I have to worry about burning the grass out? I do have an in-ground sprinkler system that waters 3 times a week (M/W/F). (I have a bag of the Lesco Turf Fertilizer 24-0-11 if that matters)

Thoughts?

I have always applied my second shot of fertilizer around this time of year. I have never burned my grass yet.

I applied it yesterday and then put the sprinkler on every area to get it into the soil.

I will then water once a week if it does not rain.

I'm with Tom. It's been a long time since I did much lawn fertilizing, but in mid summer heat I just applied it a bit lighter and watered in it more copiously. Never burned a lawn in about 4 years doing that.

With an underground sprinkler system I'd say go for it, and change the regiment to daily watering for four or five days.

i just put down my fertilizer, it is made for any season any temp, water it in good and then twice a day for 3 min on each area. it is suppose to be 114 here today and have never had problems with burning, except when it just gets so hot out that you have to water 5 times a day just to keep the lawn cool.

I haven't fertilized in about 6 years or so. I mulch everything, and water up to about July 4, then let nature run its course smile My wife calls me lazy, I call myself efficient, and my yard actually looks pretty decent. I spray some ortho for weeds in fall and then spring, and that's it.

I used to work on golf course, and applied lots of fert. We just made sure to water good whether applying in heat or not, and we applied on some hot stretches with only burn where we accidently dumped too much. Good luck.

Box -

You're actually doing the "right" thing, unless a person has sodded.

I always try to stress to people that sod isn't a 'natural' grass, that it's formulated with much water and much fertilizer. If you're going to want the sod to stay the way it looks new, you're going to need much water and much fertilizer.

If you're looking for something with less maintenance, seed your lawn. Fertilize it 2 times in the fall.

If you look at the Extension Service from the U, they'll say the same thing.

When people call me for services in the spring, I'll always stress to wait until fall.

Let the grass go dormant, it's what it naturally wants to do.

However, you have to do it all the time. You can't let it go dormant, and then fertilize it thinking you're going to bring it back out of dormancy. That'd be like someone forcing breakfast down your throat while you're still sleeping.

If you're going to maintain it and keep it green, keep it green. If you float back and forth between the two, you're going to stress it out, and that's when you have problems arise.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I was thinking it would be fine, especially with the sprinkler system watering regularly, but just wanted to check. The lawn was sodded last may, so I am still "babying" it a little bit. Fertilizer will go down after I get back from the cabin for the 4th.

Have a good Holiday everyone!

CJH