• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting ready for new paint on the mountain bike. Help please.

i think if it were mine since it is an expensive bike, i would take it to a shop have them remove, inspect the bearings, and when you are done painting having them reassemble and adjust. if you are taking the time to have it painted, clearly you ride it enough to warrant a "pro" mechanic working on the most important part. just my thought.

Hi Riverfishingmiss,

So a new paint job?!? Personally I kind of like the paint scrapes on my bikes because they tell the story of past rides. You must be hitting the trails pretty hard.

Removing crankarms and bottombrackets on older bikes used to be quick and easy because a few standard wrenches were all you needed for removing a few key nuts and washers. But my guess is that you've got a newer bike that has a newer ISIS crankset/bottom bracket. The newer cranks require a crank puller. You can buy them at most bike shops. If this is your first time, you should probably take it to a bike shop so you can have someone show you how it's done. It's not overly complicated though. I bet the bike tech at the shop would be willing to walk you though how it's done, especially if you bought the tools there. Good luck.