• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where are you going out of? What type of boat do you have? How long are you willing to run? How well do you know the lake? What kind of fish are you targeting? Just a few questions to answer before I give any advice, just b/c it's a huge lake and without any depth maps available it's nice to know how expirienced you are...

We went out of Onaman River a couple of years ago, and had an absolute blast. That lake is a beast - its like Basswood on steroids. We hired a charter for two days, and concentrated on catching brook trout (specks). You can't believe the battle those specks put up on standard walleye gear.

We trolled small Mepps spinners with a nightcrawler hanging off behind the boat right along the shorelines, and probably got 20 nice ones (over 2 lbs) with the largest one 23 inches and over 5 lbs. We retrofitted the spinners with a larger single hook, so split rings came in handy.

We spent a morning chasing lakers, but no one was really hitting them over a several day stretch - that's fishing! For the lakers it was spoons on downriggers set between 20 and 40 feet.

Beware! There are special regulations that you want to study up on. Single hooks, barbless, trophy regs, etc. You almost need a law degree to decipher Ontario's regs. We bought the standard license instead of the conservation license. That allowed us to keep one speck over 20". If you have the conservation license, specks are strictly C&R. As it turned out, we released all of the fish, with the exception of a badly hooked dead-on-arrival fish (foul-hooked in the gills).

Guys were raving about the walleye action, but we didn't spend any time chasing them.

I will be out of Onaman resort targeting mainly lakers.. maybe some walleye and brookies if there is time... I have a 20 Foot Lund Explorer Sport with a 200 and a 9.9 kicker... willing to put on 50 miles a day or whatever it takes.. don't know the lake at all, but going with someone who has gone out of the west end a few times...

What are your dates, I'll be there on the 9th. Can't wait!!! I'll be near Macdiarmid chasin everything, Lakers and Brookies on the calm days that we can get on the big lake. Windy days we'll be walking streams and portaging into some walleye lakes! Can;t wait to get back! Should start tying up some "smelt rigs" for drifting in the big river

If you want decent walleye fishing just go beneath the dam (river that comes in NE of the campground on the S shore. We call it "dummie" fishing...usually only spend about fifteen mins screwing around with the eyes (just enough for a meal), and then go straight back to fishing specks and monster redfins.

Don't be afraid to try big...no HUGE spoons! Quickfish work well early in the year also. Big rapalas seem to work sometimes, match the size and color of the smelt if you see any washed up on shore. Use your electronics to find suspended baitfish with big arcs beneath. Usually the suspended lakers will be more active than those on bottom. Try a bunch of "pinches" between islands or shore that are deep, like 100 feet. Be careful, and take it slow. Remember you are at your own risk.

Ohh yeah, and don't forget to pick out a sweet piece of driftwood just in case you catch your wall mounter. There's nothing like having your fish mounted on your own unique piece of wood from the shore of the body of water you caught the fish on. Might as well keep the lure for the mount as well.

Just food for thought. Have fun, it's truely a world class fishery!

They're bad. Take it slow! Mark the clear routes on your gps so that you know where you can run and where you have to motor down. The first two days will be slow going to and from spots, but once you have your route marked it will be gravy. Fill the boat up with gas in the U.S. if you want to save some coin. Stop in at the baitshop in Beardmore and ask a couple questions. Oh ya, and check out the red-fins mounted on the wall in the "back room". Buy a map there or at the hardware store in Beardmore. It will show some shouls/rockpiles that you will definately want to steer clear of and/or fish. Post some pictures when you get back!

No expert here, but one of the most beautiful places I've seen. The cliffs, the black sand beaches and the enormous lake are awesome. You should have a great time chasing those giants.

We came out of the long, skinny bay on the SE side with only 3 days to fish. The wind turned NW after a storm the night we arrived so the next day we were limited to the bay (of course it's about 15-20 miles long) as the rollers past the point were enormous. Third week of August and the mayflies were hatching...cold lake. We caught ciscoes, whitefish and brookies on 1/16th oz jigs while they were rising on the bugs in shallow bays. Lots of fun and 18" whitefish are superb eating. Following day the swells were still rolling from the NW even tho the wind had gone south, but not bad running. We caught our fish jigging in 85-120 feet, mostly just into South Bay. Lots of 300 plus water in Nipigon. When we go back, we will try the NE corner.

By the way, we saw one boat in two days and that was a 35, maybe 40 footer with OPP and MNR on board making their rounds. They came out of the bay on the east side. I heard they no longer make a daily run.

Good luck and be careful, big, big water.

Can't wait to wet a line! Leave Friday, need to string upi some line on some reels, tie up some smelt rigs, and stock up on my spoons! Karl; are you ready for this? Atleast make sure Eddie will be!!!

Is it FRIDAY YET??? 2 pairs of glasses/ rain gear/ boots... should be a great trip. I hope the wind cooperates! But we will make due with what we are given!!! If I could just stay for more than a few days...

Be really careful! If they are calling for wind, STAY off the lake, it's not worth it. This lake has waves that are close together and will sink you in a heartbeat. the first wave you will cut through but the next will fill your boat or bend it. Th e waves on this lake usally come from different directions hitting you from different angles. Stay close to islands and make sure you are prepared to stay on a island for a couple of days.

On windy days fish the rivers.

Have a safe trip.

Had great weather!!! Good wind! only one day it was hard to get out but we went slow cause the report was for diminishing winds. Fishing was awesome, Sunday was the best. We caught a ton of specks, 30 over 20" in 3 days of fishing. biggest hit 24 1/2"... can't wait to go back as soon as possible! Thanks Karl; You are the MAN!!!

Be really careful! If they are calling for wind, STAY off the lake, it's not worth it. This lake has waves that are close together and will sink you in a heartbeat. the first wave you will cut through but the next will fill your boat or bend it. Th e waves on this lake usally come from different directions hitting you from different angles. Stay close to islands and make sure you are prepared to stay on a island for a couple of days.

On windy days fish the rivers.

Have a safe trip.

What do you consider wind.. we are looking at 10- 15 one day and 5-10 the next...

5-10 should be fine 10-15 is ok too, but all I wanted to say is to be very careful. This lake has taken a few lives and boats in the past. I live in Thunder Bay and regularly travel to the Nip to fish.

Oh! Road construction between Thunder Bay and Nipigon 1.5 hour wait times are being reported on the Thunder Bay Fishing HSOforum.

Ya it kinda sucks right now but just think, next year it should be a nice ride all the way up from Duluth smile

They said on the local news last night wait times were around the 20 min mark now at the Makenzie River bridge.

Got back today.. couldn't fish the lake more than a few hours yesterday when the 20 MPH wind layed down .. lost one big fish.. one guy that came along threw a tantrom and ruined the last day of the trip.. walleye fishing was very good but thats not what we went for... also the 60 plus miles on a dirt road was not very nice to my boat.. now it has to be repainted before I sell it this year.

Worst fishing trip ever!

Onaman River Resort was a great pace to stay tho I thought and I will hopefully make it up there again to catch some 20+ lb lakers... with a bra on the front of my boat since the rock skirt didn't do the trick...