• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

need help w/info to help me decide about a boat please

kotadust

this is the boat

1986 Bayliner Trophy and trailer, 125 Force, 18'10", electric trolling motor. New Lowrance 522ciGPS, Marine Fish Finder, 2 live wells, stainless steel prop, stereo, ski tri-pod

I can get it for around 2500 looks like it has been well taken care of

Now what my question here is just how bad are the force motors I have hear some bad things about them but this guy has had this boat for 18 years and as i said it looks like it has been well maintained and cared for I am just wondering if this seems like a good deal and if I am taking a big risk getting it keep in mind i will not have alot of funds to have it worked on alot lol I understand there can always be some kind of problem with anything unforseen just want to know if i am getting into somthing i will have in the shop more then in the water

Well, the rig is 24 years old so you will definitely need to plan on some maintenance. That said, the price at $2500 including a $500 sonar does not seem out of line. The Force motors are not a high demand product, but if it is in good shape you should not expect any more problems than with an OMC or Mercury motor. You might want to cough up some cash and have an experienced marine mechanic give it a look over before you buy to be sure there are not any big problems hiding somewhere. Good luck!

What are you looking for in a used boat? I agree, the price isn't too bad, but the motor is old enough (and a force / chrysler) where finding parts may become an issue at some point. To have a marine mechanic look at it would probably run around $100.

I'd want a compression test / leak down test to verify the motor is in good shape prior to purchase at a minimum.

marine_man

the boat is kinda sporty lookin

as you say it looks like it was taken care

i know you say your not overloaded with money but it that goes to heck

you could probaly find a good used one to hang on there

kinda cool lookin boat

as to what I am looking for basicly a trustworthy boat preferibly a bass boat style with enough power to pull my kids on a tube and probally skis some day 16' or larger preferibly in good shape and i cant spend more then 2500 right now if the boat it self is good enough and a good enough deal then as long as i can get through this season i could try and get a new used motor on by next i have a few things to sell to try and raise some cash just need to find out what there worth (mercruiser stern drive from 70's boat is biggest thing) any way thanks for all the commnts and I welcome any more

Looks like a good deal, $2500 doesn't buy much now days. Especially a big motor like that. Best way to check everything out is to get it on the water before you buy it and just make sure all the stuff works. EVERYTHING lights,livewells,trolling motor,horn,gauges,hatches open, latches work,seats are solid,pull the plug when u leave to see if you've taken on water... if the motor starts good, excellerates well with no spittin 'n sputterin idles smooth I would say it's alright. Take it out for a good long run though play around for a while. (still think about taking it in for a compression and leak down check) If you know someone thats been around boats invite them along to get a second opinion, they may think of or see something you don't. If the owner objects to any of this I'd shy away, somethin's up.

As for replacing the motor in the future a good shop can put about any motor you want on the back of that boat. New motors as a rule of thumb use to figure about $100/hp I think, used varies on what you find and with the bigger hp's you have to put the word out your lookin or be in the right place at the right time, they're hard to come by. I've been lookin this spring to upsize and get into a 4-stroke. Lookin like I'll probably buy new this fall and have it put on thru the winter some time.

Thanks for all the input I really appreciate it ......unfortunatly I got screwed any way had it set up to go up and meet the guy late this after noon (that was suposed to be the earliest he was able to get there from were he lives boat was at his weekend place) all set up I was comming to buy it CASH in had pulled out 100 dollar bills lol (can you see were this is going yet) ..........almost 90 miles 1 way in a truck that gets a woping 12.5 miles to the gallon ............ to be told when I get there ohhhhh sry I sold it couple hours ago...........[PoorWordUsage] had had email and phone comunication with the guy all week .........argggggggggggggggggggggggggg

absolutly lol wouldent be much for me to be upset about if he didnt even know I was comming had spoke about it 2 days ago thats when he gave me the directions and told me he couldn't be there till friday late afternoon or evening told him that I would meet him there. Then I called and left a message last night.

sold it for what he was asking from what i understand from a neighbor of his up there (he was actually gone when i got there had to call him to find out it was sold then neighbor aproched me .... permanent camp trailer area so they notice ppl who dont belong real quik lmao)........same thing I told him i was oulling out in cash to bring up ....... same thing I had in cash for him .......now of course i was going to try and haggle it down some but was prepaired to pay what was he was asking if i had to (which is rare for me lol)

It might have been a blessing in disguise but you will never know. If it was me I would rather have a older OMC motor hanging off the back. Keep looking because I am sure you will find a deal out there because it sure seems like there are a lot of boats for sale right now.