• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2006 Lund Fisherman storage - wet in wet weather

3andadog

I bought this boat new and I like it very much but in the wet weather the storage areas get very wet - leaking in from the hatches.

Is there a way to fix the issue - it looks like that is the way it is from the factory. Has anyone come up with a way to seal the hatches? Are all boats like this? I like fishing Rainy and the lake lives up to it's name.

I'm talking about the floor storage in the bow excluding the livewell and one of the under seat storage areas.

I'd add a picture but can't cut and paste it but I believe it is loading the channel with water and flowing in. I don't know how you'd seal it and get it to lay flush with the deck (bow storage). The underseat storage would be a little easier I would guess.

I don't know if you went to an aotomotive store and found some type of door gasket or trunk lid gasket and glued it in if that would work. I'm sure that would keep it from getting around the channel but it's still not going to seal it right at the surface of the deck. They don't really build those compartment doors with alot of extra clearance to add anything like that.

Not to be a smart "you know what" but all the stuff in my boat is made to get wet. The only reason I use the stoage compartments is to keep stuff out of my way. If I have things in the boat that really need to stay dry I have a couple O-ring sealed containers I put them in.

My 04 Explorer keeps water out real good. Of course in a extended downpour things get a bit damp. Like said above I make sure my stuff can either get wet or is in some sort of water proof bag such as the big outdoor zip lock bags.

The channels are well made. I think they fill quickly in rain events and the water goes into the hold from there.

It would be nice to have of the holds be dry. Guess I'll have to bag the stuff before stowing. It is a pain to have to wipe it all down so mold and mildew don't start. Gaskets might not work since that would cause the hatches to not lay flush with the deck.

I was hoping that someone may have addressed the issue, seeing all the boat mods in othe the other threads. grin

thanks again for posting the pic m man.

if you could get the pinch on type door seal like they use on car doors, that way it does not have to be glued but if it is a true channel rather than just a flat lip that wont work and a water proof door seal might help

After seeing the picture and the way the carpet wraps around the hatch, I think your stuck like the rest of us. Open everything up after the rain and let the sun and wind dry it out. About the only thing that might help a little would be to find some thin stick on foam (something that will squeeze very flat) and run it in the hinge and make sure those recessed handles are sealed up. Good Luck

A couple things come to mind that you could try. Figure out a way to attach drain tubes through the U-channel to drain the water into the bilge. Larger boats do this on a bigger scale and it works very well as long as the tubes are kept clear of restrictions.

:edit: Nevermind on this idea, just looked closer at the picture and you don't have a channel to do this.

Another thing is the carpet on the inside lip of the hatch acts as a wick and sucks the water inside and drops it into the compartment once it gets saturated. You could try coating the bottom and inside edges of the carpet with a spray-on waterproofer like Camp Dry and see if it helps. I would use a very liberal coating and saturate the unseen areas.