• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

There are people who still stop for birds......

JayinMN

Today, I was watching this small family of geese trying to cross Hwy 7. They only have two goslings left and of course right as a group of cars was coming they decided to cross. I think the guy in the cat was thinking the same thing I was. "These geese are goners if the go." He had a bigger rig then me so he pulled out and slowed down traffic so they made it across safely. Last year I saw a whole flock of geese taken out by cars because they couldn't take 5 seconds to stop and let them go across. It was a bit refreshing to see some kindness towards birds.

4663160471_d8035e161c_b.jpg

I agree. Nice to show some respect for nature. BUT - If you're going to stop for nature, please make sure its safe to do so. I've witnessed cars SLAMMING on their brakes on the interstate, with a high potential for causing accidents. Saving a goose is not worth losing a human life. Be safe.

we have some public ponds south of our town that is some what a park and you can drive thru it and fish. Every year there are stupid idiots that run over familys of geese. I like to strangle the people that do this. it upsets me very much!!!!!

I stop for them, obviously when it is safe to do so.

I don't understand how they can get hit on some 30mph residential street without someone trying to hit them.

BTW - am I the only one that checks roadkill waterfowl for bands? I have flipped over maggot encrusted geese before sickblushlaugh

I'd never intentionally run over a bird walking across a road. No different, really, than swerving to run over turtles. People who do it are sick. Or they don't care, which is a kind of sickness, too.

Glad to see you and the Cat guy had this family under your wings, Jason. 2thumbs.gif

I agree. Nice to show some respect for nature. BUT - If you're going to stop for nature, please make sure its safe to do so. I've witnessed cars SLAMMING on their brakes on the interstate, with a high potential for causing accidents. Saving a goose is not worth losing a human life. Be safe.

Excellent point Lightning, although it would be ideal to never have road kill critters, it's much more difficult to safely stop or swerve while doing 65 or 70 mph on a congested highway in the cities. I have seen some close calls when folks decide to swerve or stop on 494 in the south metro for ducks and geese. Not every road kill is from someone trying to depopulate the resident goose population via ford focus.

Also, those goslings are really small. The ones around here are about twice that size.

There can be roughly three weeks difference between early and late nesters in the same geographic location. These were maybe late nesters. And the further north you go the later nesting usually occurs.

We still have geese sitting on nests up here. These are actually larger then a lot of the goslings I have seen so far.

A little about hwy 7. Its as straight as an arrow, and maybe a car every 5-10 minutes on a busy day. There was plenty of time for the traffic to slow down. Also it would be hard to miss the flashing yellow lights on the cat. Its hardly interstate traffic.

The geese I saw get hit last year were intentionally ran over, it was a residential road, speed limit 15 mph. I would never expect anyone to put there lives at risk trying to avoid an animal on the road but there are plenty of people who will intentionally hit them for the "fun" of it. I also realize not every road kill is intentional, I have killed animals with my own car when there is no avoiding it.