• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cardinals!!!

rowdy

I know this has probly been asked before, what do i have to do to get cardinals to my bird feeders. Is there a certain feed they like or what. I see them often in my neighborhood but rarly on my feeders. Any help would be great. I love seeing them. Thanks!!

My wife loves cardinals so them and orioles are our main target. We buy a variety of bird feed, Cardinals choice and just wild bird feed. What I have noticed is having feeders with large perching bases helps, if they have a tough time standing at a feeder they will only eat off the ground. Which works fine cause all the other birds kick it all over out of the feeders anyway. You can go to a birding store and they will tell you to try feed high in oils, but havent noticed that makes a difference. Like I said we getplenty of daily visits with just plain Cardinal Choice from Menards or other outlets $10 for about 40 lbs bag. Hope it helps.

Quote:
Try sunflower seeds and safflower seeds, those are their favorites.

With that you should also get some rose breasted grosbeaks too.

Cardinals and rose breasted grosbeaks don't hang around the feeders long. They eat a few seed and then off to the tree tops. At my house the Cardinals had there young at the feeder before all the leafs were on the trees.

Today I had a young red-bellied woodpecker at the suit. I could tell in was young because it took 4 tries at landing on the suit feeder. It was good to see, I've had a male in the back yard all summer. The Downies, Hairy and now the Red-bellies all had success.