• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Must haves for any on catching pannies on the fly

itchmesir

The Accardo Wildcat and Bream Master are those must haves.. I have seriously caught my limit of big pannies anytime I am out throwing this thing.. They cause quite the stir.. watching a bull zip across the water from over a foot away just to nail these guys... check'em out..

DSCF3509.JPG

^^Bream Master

Sweet pic! My first time using a flyrod I hooked up with a 11 gill on a white popper.One of the funnest fishing experiences I have had! I would like to get a rod and some streamer flys and catch some pike on top water! See video of it and the take is usually something else!

the regular betts poppers seem to work better for me.

it seems any popper you can buy gets destroyed once you find a hot bluegill bite. i went through 5 over 3 days on annie battle lake one year! they were slamming them so hard it was chipping off the paint and epoxy. i kept fishing them until the cork basically fell off.

i am trying to make my own foam bodied poppers now.

I just tie some foam onto a #10 longshank hook with some rubber legs. I tie a dropper nymph onto the lead "bug" and have at it. Worked like a charm last night. Caught my biggest gills of the year.

I started catching smaller fish later on so I tied on a #8 woolybugger and size went up. Plus a few bonus crappies started hitting.

I still have the the 1st Wildcat popper i bought.. i easily have caught well over a 200 pannies and about a dozen bass on this thing.. and there is no sign of chipped paint.. pattern is still clearly on the popper.. none of the legs have been bitten off.. skirt is still fully intact.. and my bream pattern only has a chip on it because i smacked the bike path behind me when casting.. these things are nothing short of quality

I'll be honest..

None of the panfish fly fishing I've done this year had any success with poppers. I must be doing something wrong.

The good ol' parachute adams however is a fantastic producer of gills for me.

Dry flies are a blast for fishing sunnies. The only problem is that they only last a few fish for me. They usually either get so water logged they won't float well or torn apart.

Itch - Where can I fins these poppers? Do they have them at GM or Cab? I might have to give them a try.

Dry flies are a blast for fishing sunnies. The only problem is that they only last a few fish for me. They usually either get so water logged they won't float well or torn apart.

Itch - Where can I fins these poppers? Do they have them at GM or Cab? I might have to give them a try.

you can try checking there.. I got mine at Bob's Bait n Tackle in LaCrosse, WI... you can find them here and there online too

If it is yellow and floats!!!!!

A #10 abberden hook with enough yellow (cheese) floating Trout warm to float it. Hey tie on a rubber leg if your a purist. If you want to catch the maximum # of fish add a Glow Yellow Power bait Crappie Nibbles (they don't work well in cold water). As for poppers all I can say is use yellow.

If you want to catch lots of Pan Fish by all means use Glow Yellow Power bait Crappie Nibbles in warm water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you WILL out fish your buddy 5 to 1..