• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2000 Johnson 115 HP Outboard Tic.

rocstar

I just bought a 2000 Johnson 115HP Two-Stroke and while running it has a tic that seems strange to me. Obviously most notable at idle and lower rpms when you can hear it. Has anyone else experienced this same tic and is it normal for this engine? Otherwise it runs like a top.

Engine is carburated. 99 Johnson 115. I just had mine rebuilt and it has the same noise. Did not have it before the rebuild. Took it back to where it was rebuilt and the guy did not have a water tank, just the ear muffs. Does not make the noise unless in water under load. Mine runs great also, and has the noise at lower rpms. Nothing at middle to higher rpms.

I pulled the flywheel cover off yesterday to take a look as the tic seems to be on top around the flywheel or starter. Everything looked OK but the starter bendix gear or gear shaft seems to rattle. I wonder if this could be it? It is almost like the tollerance between the gear shaft and the shaft seat is too loose.

Rocstar, I believe I saw your post on different forum as well. Did you ever figure this out? I am getting the same noise from the top of the motor on my 1999 90hp Johnson. When my buddy and I put it in the water for the first time this Saturday we quickly cut the trip short because we thought it sounded like a bad bearing. The motor ran very smooth and no problems besides the ticking. I just started it up and listened through a hose to pinpoint the sound and it is definely loudest at the top of the engine. If anyone could shed some insight it would be greatly appreciated. I am afraid this might be a bad bearing amplifying up through the crankshaft. Could this be the case?