• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

black dots/spots-parasites?

fatfinger

got into some gills today & noticed a bunch of tiny black dots in the fins & skin.when i cleaned em one had some in the meat too.happened last year on Little Jessy Lake but we released em all out of fear of a tapeworm or some other parasite.only had one that was peppered when i got home today- he must have slipped by.anyway, does anyone know what those pepper-like dots are?safe to eat or not?any help will be greatly appreciated.thanks.

also, if anyone's interested, i was fishing near duluth and from about 6:30/7:00pm until i left at dark they turned on big time.ran me out of worms & almost out of leeches.F-U-N!

Hi fatfinger, that would be a fish disease called "Neascus" - more commonly known as the "Black spot disease".

Here is a description of it, as provided by the MN DNR.

Quote:
Eggs are released by fish-eating birds into the water. Eggs develop into intermediate stages of the parasite in snails. These free-swimming parasites penetrate the muscles of fish and encyst. Black pigmentation is deposited onto these cysts. Infected fish are consumed by birds where the life cycle starts all over again. Adult worms are seen in fish-eating birds.

The DNR also says that despite the appearance, yes, the fish are perfectly safe to eat as long as the meat is well cooked.

I've heard (though not sure if correct) that it has to do with the water temperature and how shallow the fish are for if they get these or not. I ate some this weekend too, and have before, and it's never been a problem. Still tasty!

I've called them mites. Did not know it was a worm. I know they are safe to eat. I read in a book that you should just think of it as pepper and enjoy. Long white worms in the guts are what you need to watch for, and even then, if cooked properly the fillets are ok to eat.

I call it pre-peppered fish. I always just tell my wife to make sure that the panfish appetizer is fried a little extra crispy when I see those pre-peppered beauties.

My doctor says that my fourth little arm, we call it Stumpy, would have occurred naturally anyway.