• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Apple trees

sweept

Classically, you start spaying with "fruit tree spray" after most of the petals drop. About 4th of july you start adding Sevin to the spray, since the malathion doesn't work too well on Apple Maggots, the bane of my apple crop. If you spray Sevin too early it makes the little apples fall off the tree.

I will second the notion of checking out the U of M extension web site for good information. It is not too late to start spaying for scab, I don't believe. (Scab is the stuff that makes all the leaves fall off in August)

The scab spray I've used calls for application when the tree's leaves are about 1/4 to 1/2 inch long. For our crabapples, that time is well past. We now have a Hopa crab (very susceptible to scab) that developed scab its second year. We sprayed once its third spring and then were religious in keeping the leaves picked up and away from the tree and it hasn't been back.

I'm also interested in knowing which type of diseases/pests the OP is talking about spraying against. smile

Although the leaves drop off at the end of summer, the fungus sets in and does its damage during the spring. Once the leaves are full grown there is little one can do for prevention. There have been a few products that claim a "curative" but its somewhat unproven. Would you spray it without knowing your tree is infected?

Another bump for the Extension service. Its a great resource.

Although the leaves drop off at the end of summer, the fungus sets in and does its damage during the spring. Once the leaves are full grown there is little one can do for prevention. There have been a few products that claim a "curative" but its somewhat unproven. Would you spray it without knowing your tree is infected?

Another bump for the Extension service. Its a great resource.

+1 on all counts. I've never found actual proof the curative claims are proven. When I was in the business, reference books and the Extension Service circulars and publications were my go-to resources. That was before the days of Internet. I'm not at all about chasing people off HSO, but the Extension Service Web site is a great encyclopedia. smile

I don't know much about scab but apple maggots are my problem pest. I paint "tangle trap sticky coating", purchased at the local nursery, on bright red plastic cups and wire 2-3 in each tree. The apple maggot fly thinks it's a perfect apple and get stuck. Since I have started doing this, the last 2-3 years, the maggot problem has been drastically reduced.