• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Entry level bow mount

chuckwagon

I have a old 14' Lund with a transom mount Minn Kota. Its a great motor with 55 # thrust but its a pain when I am trying to work the docks and edges constantly having to lean over and adjust it. So what would you guys and gals recommend for a basic entry level bow mount motor. I would like it to have a foot control but don't know how much the cost is affected by having it instead of a hand control. Thanks for the help in advance!

chuckwagon

If you fish ONLY out of the bow, the Maxxum's are a good cable drive model. Not super expensive, robust, and turn almost instantly. Pretty easy to lift out of the water.

If you may fish in areas other than the bow, than you would be in a Powerdrive with wired footpedal. It responds slower, but can be used anywhere in the boat. I often control mine from the console or rear deck when pulling cranks or spinners. You can also add the wireless co-pilot some day if you wish. The power drives take a little more effort to pull out of the water, but once you get the hang of it, no problem.

I picked up my first 12V/55# Powerdrive lightly used on a classified ad here for under $300.

Ok ... well now I am learning! I did not know there was the two different styles. I will have to think about it more now, the wired models sound pretty nice to have being able to run it from the back! Thanks for the help ...

I like Minnkota's a little better than Motorguides, but they have some decent models too. There is a powerdrive like wireless model that comes with a wireless foot pedal and an FOB to control the motor. This is similar to the Co-pilot feature, but a little cheaper.