• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Memory card recommendations

The 50D takes advantage of the faster write speeds so I would stick with a faster card. The faster card, along with a fast card reader may also speed the process of uploading photos to your PC and browsing them in the camera. The 50D has some large files so you may find an 8gig to be a good size to work with. Unfortunately there are different ways to measure the speeds but often they are in multipliers of X. Such as 50X.

I use only Sandisk, but Lexar and Kingston also make good cards. Buy only from reputable dealers, knock-offs are fairly common on auction sites. If it seems to good to be true...it is. As I mentioned in the other thread going, B&H Photo, Adorama, Canoga Camera, Samy's, Roberts Imaging are a few highly regarded sites which you can have complete faith in buying from.

All I've used since my first 30D and now the 50D, are Sandisk Extreme, and never had a problem. There is a way to distinguish a knockoff from the real thing. There is a HSOforum you can go to that clearly shows the difference, but like Dan said, if you stick to the reputable dealers you'll have nothing to worry about.

A couple SanDisk options @ B&H wondering if bigger is always better. They have a 16GB Capacity 60MB/sec (400x) speed and a 8GB capacity 60MB/sec (400x) speed.

16GB runs $127.5

8GB runs $69.95

They do have a rebate deal as well @ 2 8GB cards for $119.90

The 2 pack deal is pretty good, but you think I would have the need for two cards?

Thanks.

I like the idea of two or more cards. Sometimes with an important shoot, you don't "put all your eggs in one basket" in case of a card failure. I've never had that happen (knock on wood) but it's always in the back of my mind. I have 2 gig, 4's and 8's. You can put a lot of photos on a 4 gig card.

BTW - got home late last night. Will look for that disk when I get home from work.

The 2 pack deal is pretty good, but you think I would have the need for two cards?

Thanks.

Yes!

I shoot with two "1" series bodies, and one of the things I like best is I have an SD and a CF card in each camera, and the cameras write to both cards simultaneously, so if a card fails, the second card is there to take up the slack. I've never had a card failure in more than five years, but the time will come, and when you're shooting a wedding, there are no do-overs.

Having two cards even in a camera that only accepts one at a time means you'll have many hundreds of images per card in case you get into a situation where a happening of a lifetime occurs and you actually need to shoot hundreds/thousands of images. And if that never happens, you'll have a backup card if your other card fails. Same reason for having multiple camera batteries. Longevity of shooting increases tremendously with more batteries, and that's good, too. But it's the backup that's the crux of the matter, even for a weekend photographer.

Bringing a single camera battery and a single card out with you for photography is like bringing a single walleye rod in the boat. If it's all casual, it's all good. If it's not so casual or if you are traveling any distance for the outing, better bring that second rod, eh? gringrin