• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what is a good starter camera

I have a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 non vc waiting for me, this is the one Steve recommended, does anyone else have any input before I pull the trigger on this lens? I am buying it this afternoon. Let me know what you guys think.

The only advantage a fixed 50 will do for you at this point is give you some low light capability. You already have a 55-250 so that focal range is more than covered. My best advice would be the same I mentioned earlier in the thread, slow down and use what you have for now. Shoot a bit and find out what your needs might be based on how you end up using your camera. The reason buy and sell boards are so busy is because folks buy with out knowing how they will use their equipment. They purchase a lens and find out that it never gets touched.

In a few months you will find yourself saying "boy I wish I had that ...... lens". That is when you can start developing a plan and saving some money to fill that need. You can produce some fine photos with out a lot of equipment indoors. Window light, homemade reflectors all will allow you to get beautiful results.

You mentioned being on a budget. Don't chase after equipment to solve all your photo problems, learn how your present equipment will get you those results. This will force you to think about getting around those problems and make you a more accomplished photographer in the long run. Just my two cents. smile

Dan, you are more then helpful. I will wait on other lenses until I figure out my shooting needs. I do have some other stuff I need anyway like a CF card and a bag, do most of the guys use photoshop or is there another program people like? What is the most useful bag you guys use, does anyone use backpacks? Thanks for helping a newbie out.

frogtosser,

Believe me, lens selection will become much clearer for you in a short time! Then you will have to figure out how to pay for it all! Starting out you can use the software that came with your camera, DPP. Picassa is a free basic program that certainly gets you started. Photoshop Elements is a great starting point, it is Photoshop lite. By that it will do many of the things Photoshop will without the expense and the hassle of learning the program. You should be able to find an Elements program that is a generation or two older for between $25 to $50.

I've been a Photoshop user for about 6 years and use it everyday and I still don't get even half of the capabilities of the program! Plus you will be shelling out around $700 or so for the latest installment. Hard to justify if you don't make a bit of money actually using the program. Plus you would be well served saving that money for a future lens purchase.

I am a backpack fan myself. It allows you to stay mobile and use your equipment in a number of different scenarios. Hiking, biking, boating, etc. If you need protection from the elements throw a plastic bag over it and you are set. Bags are like lenses, I have them for many uses. I have roller bags, backpacks and hard cases, each serves a purpose, but for the most part a backpack is a great do-it-all. Keep asking questions, lots of helpful folks here to help!

frogtosser,

Keep asking questions, lots of helpful folks here to help!

And others with some of the same questions! I am close to being in the same boat. I also have a 55-250 on the way. I dream of some L glass. I like to look at pics on this site and others and some of the ones I really like are taken with some inexpensive equipment. We have lots of pics at home taken with a 4 mega pixel Cannon point and shoot that are probably more precious to me than any I will take with our new XSI. Even with all the most expensive equipment. I guess I am learning that there is more to pics than pixels.