• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Keeping neighboring weeds out

nate larson

The backside of our lawn is woods and grasslands with lots of weeds. I can already tell that weeds are going to start creeping over into our grass. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I can do to keep them our of our yard? Is there a chemical that I should apply to the edge of the lawn to keep the weeds out? Any help would be apprecaited.

Thanks!

Not exactly sure what kind of weeds but if you name it, it is probably back there. This is my first time having a lawn. The area with the weeds isn't my property. It sounds like the previous owner of our house sprayed some chemical on the edge to keep the weeds from crossing into the yard. I am guessing some kind of pre-emergent herbicide. Does anyone have a product they could recommend? Also, what time of year is best for applying it?

I know there are chemicals that are starting to hit the market that claim they suppress "all" weeds for the entire season. I've never tried them, so I can't give you a recommendation on those.

Other than that, about the only thing you can do is take care of your own yard, and "accidently" cover a buffer on the other's property.

Be careful though, as this is a BIG no no legally and you COULD be found liable.

I don't know of anybody prosecuted for this, but just saying....

Other than that, about the only thing you can do is take care of your own yard, and "accidently" cover a buffer on the other's property.

I tend to accidentally overspray into the vacant yards next to us. Keeps the creeping charlie and dandelions at bay grin

If it's dandelions, clover, creeping charlie, thistle, etc., a good broadleaf herbicide will work.

If it's crabgrass and other grassy weeds, then you'll have to use a herbicide for those, most likely a pre-emergent.

As far as actual brands / names of chemicals, some guys use the chemicals from big box stores with some success, others use a combination of more specialty type chemicals.

What we've done to create a border for our property that sounds much like your's is to use logs from cleared trees. We essentially just line them up around the border of our property and they help keep the majority of the weeds at bay. You have to have the luxury of having access to the logs, though. Conversely, you could try the landscaping film I mentioned in the soil prep post. Line your property line with it (4 feet wide), plant hostas or something that will spread and cover it with mulch.

Long term I would reccommend some type of barrier, be it mulch bed, logs, whatever.

We moved into a new house about a year ago with the same problem, and are probably going to put in a mulch bed next year.