• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new 60hp tiller suggestions please

shinde

I've searched the past posts, but would really appreciate current informed opinons on a what I should consider for a new 60hp 4 stroke tiller for my 1988 Lund Predator (recent used would be fine too, but hard to find it appears).

Been running a '88 50hp Johnson 2 stroke for 20 years, time to upgrade. I'm leaning Yamaha F60, but no special reason for that other than generally hearing good things over the years, and the variable speed tiller handle option it offers seems to be great for trolling, which I do a lot of.

Boat is rated for 60hp (it's an '88, so don't think 4 strokes were contemplated then in the ratings), not sure if that matters or not.

Would really appreciate informed opinions/suggestions on what to target for a new engine.

I have the Yamaha F-60 and have nothing but good things to say about it. I have it on a 1660 Pro-V which is about the same size as your boat but a little heavier so you should be able to move along in the 35 MPH range. Mine is a 2006 and they did not offer the variable trolling tiller then but I would love to have it but don't really need it. You will really love how little gas the motor will use in a day of fishing even if you are trolling with the big motor. Using it out on Lake Superior trolling all day with a 4 mile run each way I have yet to burn over 4 gallons and most days use less then 3. The very best part is how quiet the motor is. My buddy came down the dock and ask if we were ready and I said yes and he asked if I was going to start the motor grin It was running !

I have a Yamaha F-50 and absolutly love it. With the new tiller handle everything is at your fingertips. The trolling speed function is great. Like the above poster said it is real easy on gas and quiet. Trolls all day long without missing a beat.

Like Jim and Candiru I am very pleased with my Yamaha. I have a 07 with the variable speed which is handy but I haven't used it much. I think the biggest strong points are the ease of use with the controls including the trim, push button trolling speed and nice forward/reverse handle. You won't be disappointed. Good Luck.

I have been running the Suzuki 60 (injected 4-stroke)tiller for several years. Can't say enough good things about it. Super quiet, no maintenance issues, trolls down great.

I have been running the Suzuki 60 (injected 4-stroke)tiller for several years. Can't say enough good things about it. Super quiet, no maintenance issues, trolls down great.

I will second this post, my Suzuki has been as faithfull as my Lab, and as a repower on my Alumacraft Dominator I can only say.... WOW what a great investment.!!! Mine is a 2004 and very easy on gas with plenty of power and so quite I have to touch it to make sure it is running. You won't be let down at all.