• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carp Rigs

I fish the Minnesota River mostly for carp.(and whatever else bites) I was just wondering if there are any good carp rigs for using corn or homemade baits. I have read a lot about hair rigs, just wondering what has worked for other people. I usually use crawlers on a hook. Any suggestions?

Thanks for posting that. It is a cool video. It helps to see them when they are actually feeding. I took advantage of the rainy day today and stopped by Gander to pick up a few components to make some more.

What type of line and hooks do you normally use?

I have developed a rig that works well for me, primarily suited to areas with current, and you could use a hair rig on it if you like. It consists of a three way swivel with one dropper of about 18" to a heavy "no-roll" type of sinker, and the other dropper at about 6" to a #2 Carlisle long shank hook. The sinker looks like a disc with concave sides and it lays flat on the bottom. I use the Carlisle hook for a long shank that holds corn and is easy to grab, and the stout wire that will not bend out on a large fish

The idea is to get the sinker out and planted (that's why I use a heavy weight) and then pull the line taught in the current. The short dropper effectively transmits the bite and speeds up hook set. Also note that this rig will minimize line twist in the current since the sinker will not roll downstream.

I use a yellow #8 octopuss hook with a hair rig of 6-8lb test fireline. Carp have soft mouths so I like to use slow action rods and a fairly light drag. If you horse them in you will pull the hook out a few.

Good luck.

I just wish I could see your face when you get your first 15lb + Carp on your line.

I use a surgeons loop. Just double the line and tie an over hand knot to form a loop.

I take a 3/0-5/0 Bass hook and straighten out the bend a little. Run the hook into the corn then hook the surgeons loop onto the barb of the hook and pull the line through the corn. To keep the corn on the hair rig I use a number of things form pieces of Trout worms, tail off of old Flukes (the fluke of a Fluke grin ) but if you want something stiffer you can use the tie like the ones that holds a pin in a fire extinguisher. Just put it in the loop pull it tight to the corn and clip the tie to make a litte dumbell.

I hammered carp today with a #8 circle hook and corn. I just hooked the corn directly on the hook. I got 6 really nice fish for a total of 48 pounds and not one sheepshead. Would hair rigs work better in a lake than the river or did my first time using corn just happen to be when the carp were hungry and not finicky?

I was out today with a hook and corn the carp were thick where I was at and didnt have a single taker... they would just go right over it, wondering if people just let the hook sit on the bottom of suspend it of the bottom an inch or two? Never really targeted them untill recently so any info would be helpful. Thanks.

The way I do it is literally hook sitting ON THE BOTTOM. Some people have had success suspending just an inch or two above the bottom via bobber, but I seemed to always spoook the fish that way.

The biggest carp I've ever caught was able to find my nightcrawler on a hook buried in mud.. it was VERY muddy where I was fishing.

If there's bait there, they can find it. It's just a matter of them being interested.

Last time I went out carp fishing was before opener, and just like you said Fly2day, they were in there thick but just not eating. I ended up snagging one (I assume) as I was hooked literally as my line hit the water. The fish went into the current and pulled free, leaving me with a scale on my hook. They were in there thick enough to accidently snag one on a cast, but just weren't eating.

Sometimes fish are weird.

Went out today to the same spot and ended up catching one maybe 10 lbs or so I used a lindy rig float just behind the hook and a splitshot with some carp dough bait. Work pretty well caught the fish within a minute or two. Another question do people just let the bait sit and wait for them to come to the bait or do you try and cast near them? They seem to move around so much and its never where I have my bait... Thanks agian for any and all info...

What do people use to keep the corn and other baits from falling of the hair rig? Does the knot keep it on or do you have to get some kind of stopper?

Some kind of stopper, yes. A twig, a toothpick section, a grass stem, a strip of monoline, anything.

I just want to add That all the Carp I've cought on crawlers ALL have been from rivers, I have never hook a carp in a lake with a crawler.

i catch alot of carp out of lakes on crawlers, but i catch more on corn or bread. the nightcrawler seems to be more effective on rivers.

all this talk of carp is getting me down. is it spring yet???????