• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

brake issue

Bass Whacker

Figured as much but thought I'd mention it anyway, just in case. Could try tapping on the outside lightly with a hammer to see if the vibration could help. Maybe use a wood block to prevent damaging the drum.

I have managed shops for years...Get out your BFH (Biggest Frigging Hammer) and strike the face of the drums. This will loosen the rust and possibly free the shoes. If this doesn't work get a large pry bar on the lip of the drum and work your way around the drum. You virtually will have to reef the drums off. I suspect the shoes are frozen or hardware has broken not allowing the to retract. The drums are pretty tough. Good Luck!

Unless you can visibly see rust on the splines there should be no reason to pound on anything. Make sure to back off, or even remove the cable slack adjusters on both foot brake and hand brake cables at the rear. Make sure the actuator lever is in the centered position so the brake shoes are fully released. After doing this rock the drum as you pull on it, or put a screwdriver under each side and pry, the drum should come right off. The drum doesnt separate from the splines so pounding will only result in damaging something. The only thing that would cause it to not come apart would be if the pad has separated from the brake shoe and is jamming it. If that is the case, you can unbolt the whole assembly from the axle and remove it that way to work on it.

well I got it off with a few taps from the hammer. New questain before i reassemble is there anything i can do to help keep all the water and grime out of the inside of the drum or is it just going to require cleaning every so often. I do get into mud and water alot so maybe I will just have to upgrade to disks in the front and not worry about this anymore. Has anyone used or know someone whos done the disk conversion up front on a foreman?

Quote:
is there anything i can do to help keep all the water and grime out of the inside of the drum

Yes! Start by making sure that the seal is good on the drum cover and replace if its worn. Make sure to clean it at the very least and lightly grease it with a good quality waterproof grease. Then make sure the small vent hose on the brake assembly is not cut or broken, then make sure its not plugged by disconnecting and blowing through it. Check the o-ring on the drum cover to make sure it is good and put a very small amount of grease on it to insure that it slides on easy and there is no rust on the seal surface of the cover. When everything is right there is usually not much problem with them. I have close to 9000 miles on my Foreman and I just replaced the shoes for the first time. But, I do go through all of the seals and clean and grease them every year.