• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha V-Max 150 starting issues?

muskielaw

I have a 2000 Yamaha V-Max HPDI 150. When I drop the boat in the water cold it starts on the first turn of the key every time. Even after sitting all winter she started right up. However, when I have been on the water fishing all day the engine gets more difficult to start. I have to crank it over several times to get it going and even when it starts it will die a couple of times. Any ideas what this would be causing this? TIA

Muskielaw.

Just a thought, how is your battery? Don't these direct injection engines need much juice for starting? Also how is wiring, connections? Or is it a hot versus cold deal?

It really a hot versus cold deal, just had the boat out yesterday started right up when I put the boat in the water and then had trouble later in the day. I am going to pull the batteries and have them tested as I am having other electrical problems and then go from there.

Crazy thought. Next time you sit for a while and then are ready to restart, go to the back of the boat and squeeze the gas line bulb until it gets hard. If this solves the problem, then make sure you squeeze the bulb hard before dropping in the lake. Good luck.

I did notice the last time out that when I pumped the ball after being out on the lake for a while it was not hard. I also did not know I was suppose to pump it before I started the engine when I first put the boat in the water. I will pump the ball before starting this weekend and see if this solves the problem. If it is the ball being soft what does that tell me? Is there an issue with the gas line or is it normal? Thanks for the help guys.

If you prime it first thing in the morning that should be all the priming that's needed, regardless of how the bulb feels after that. Your HPDI has a electric fuel pump on it, so priming it in the morning assures there's gas to the pump, after that it takes care of itself.

When you primed the bulb, and found it soft in the middle of the day, or after your first start of the day, did that fix the problem?

marine_man

My fishing partner has this same motor and the same issues, only a newer motor. He brought it in to a dealer a couple times and of course it would not act up for them so nothing was done. To make a long story short after a few wasted hours on the water I pulled out the choke on the front of the motor and it fired right up. We have done the same thing each time it acts up and it works. The manual choke is on the lower right hand side of the motor (looking at it from inside the boat).

Hopefully this will help you out., and save you some fishing time...