• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My brother just bought a cabin on Fish Lake just south of Webb Lake. I am heading up there and was wondering if anyone knows what the fishing is like on that lake? Are there any walleyes or crappies to be found? Also, what about some of the other lakes in that area for walleyes and crappies?

I was poking around on the DNR web site and found a few lakes with walleye possibilities (Yellow, McKenzie, etc.) but was hoping for some first hand information from people that know the area. I am not looking for specifics but I was just hoping for an overview of some the lakes in that area. Thanks.

I did not get many responses to my original post but will try again! There definitely seems to be some good posters in this forum so hopefully somebody will help me out.

I am taking my daughter and 2 nephews ice fishing in the area over New Years and was hoping for some general information about ares for catching crappies and how the ice is in the area. I was thinking about giving Lipsett a try or maybe Benoit, Middle McKenzie, or Long Lake (just NW of Fish Lake). Anything out of the ordinary I need to know about the ice on those lakes(springs, bad ice areas to avoid, etc)? Is the ice drivable in the area and is there much snow on the ice to worry about?

Also, is there a general pattern on those lake for crappies this time of year? I was looking at lake maps for Lipsett and was wondering if the fish tend to be roaming in the deeper basin or do most people have luck trying to fish on the break lines between 5 and 15 feet? Again, not looking for specific spots but just a general pattern for this time of year on some of those lakes to give me a place to start looking on the lake maps I have printed out.

Thanks!

Sorry, can't help you with any specifics, because I've never fished any of the lakes you've mentioned. I can tell you that they haven't got near as much snow up in that area as we have here in the metro, therefore the ice conditions are much better.

I do think that the better crappie bites tend to come from the deeper basin areas, generally after dark. Hope this helps some.

I Have done a little bit of fishing in the spooner area this year. Tried Lipsett once this winter for eyes. Fished one of the humps in the lake and didn't even mark any on the flasher. Lots of snow on top of the ice so I was to lazy to move. Good ice but the yellow river flows through on the north side so be careful. I did have some decent crappie action on a smaller area lake though. They came out of a deeper hole as Donbo suggested. You could try the yellow river flowage right in town in Spooner. It is a short walk from shore to where people fish. That would keep it easy for the kids. I fished once this year and did ok. There is a place to go eat and warm up across the street as well. Great pizza to be had there. I also tried island just north of Dunn lake and found good ice until I got out near the deep parts and found about 3 inches a couple weeks ago. Only got one crappie out of there but obviously I couldn't target the deeper water. Anyways that's about all I have for now. Good luck. Hopefully you can find some fish for the kids.

I got out on Rice, Lipsett, and Benoit early this season. Those three lakes froze up later than other area lakes and probably have iffier ice than you'd expect.

Lots of good fishing options in the area though - grab one of the blue NW Wisconsin lakemap books and do some exploring!

Thanks guys for the information. I am most interested in the comments about the ice as I am always a little nervous on lakes I am not familiar with - especially with kids! I have the lake maps off of the DNR web sites but I might have to invest in the book you mentioned if I will be spending more time up that direction. Hopefully some of the tips will give us a better chance of getting into some fish.

If I were bringing kids out, I'd take them out on Rice. You can almost always catch bluegills (they run a little on the small side but you should be able to get some eaters) and it looked like they were driving on it. The only access is at Northwinds Bar on the north side just off G. I think he charges $7 for a day (I pay the $20 for the year) but it's worth it considering he has to re-landscape the area in the spring because of all the ruts. They don't open until 3:00 but you can go ahead and drive on and stop by on the way out.

How is the travel on the lakes in the area? I know up in Northern MN there was lots of slush and snow and made getting around in a truck near impossible. I was curious if I would be able to easily get around in a truck on most of the lakes in the area or if there is too much snow or slush.

My brother just bought a cabin on Fish Lake just south of Webb Lake. I am heading up there and was wondering if anyone knows what the fishing is like on that lake? Are there any walleyes or crappies to be found? Also, what about some of the other lakes in that area for walleyes and crappies?

Have a cabin about 2 miles away from fish, crappies - yes, lots of them, but not a lot over 10 inches. Find the 29ft mark and work in from there. I can't help with walleyes, I've been a cabin owner for only 2 years, so I'm still trying to learn the area. I would definitely try big mckenzie for crappies before middle mckenzie. I'm heading up next week myself, hitting yellow lake first and then some smaller lakes the next day. Good luck.