• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help with my engine

apegs

[img:left]http://DSCF0524.jpg

This is just so you can figure out what your looking at. [img:center]http://DSCF0530.jpg [img:right]http://DSCF0525.jpg [img:left]http:// [img:center]http://DSCF0528.jpg

So here it goes i don't want to admit this but I should for a more precise opinion on whats wrong. I just got the boat and this is my first one. On sunday as we were leaving a parking lot I forgot to strap it down and the boat rolled off the trailor as we were driving. We were not going very fast. It appeared to do no damage that I could see to the engine or prop. After that we strapped it down and we took it to a lake to see if it would start. Keep in mind this is the first time I took it out to test the motor. I got it started for about fifteen to twenty seconds then it died and I could not get it to start after that. I have no idea what would cause the engine to die and not start. When I got the boat it was leaking a litle oil out of the prop. I know that I have to replace a seal in there. But after this whole fiasco it seems like it was leeking more oil than befor. I don't know if the increase oil leak has to do with actually getting it started and having fluids run through it or if I made it worse. In the second from the bottom pic right below that lip it was leaking oil. And in the bottom of the pic, right in the middle on the flat part there is a hole. It doesn't look like a puncture it looks like the hole is supposed to be there but that was leaking oil too. So the question is why is it not starting and have you ever seen oil leaks like this befor? Like I said befor this is my first boat so I am lost when it comes to this. Any information will help.

Bottom pic is oil residue from the exhaust, nothing to be concerned with as it is normal.

So you got it running for a little while. Was it choked and you forgot to take the choke off?

Maybe you took the choke off but needed to use the choke intermittently to keep it running till it warmed up.

Till you get familiar with how the engine wants to be started you can pull the plugs because they'll tell you something. Wet means too much choke. Dry means not enough. After it warms up a little it should run without choke.

Does this outboard have the High and Low speed adjustments?

Bottom pic is oil residue from the exhaust, nothing to be concerned with as it is normal.

So you got it running for a little while. Was it choked and you forgot to take the choke off?

Maybe you took the choke off but needed to use the choke intermittently to keep it running till it warmed up.

Till you get familiar with how the engine wants to be started you can pull the plugs because they'll tell you something. Wet means too much choke. Dry means not enough. After it warms up a little it should run without choke.

Does this outboard have the High and Low speed adjustments?

With the exhaust I understand thats what it looks like but oil was actually dripping out of that hole. It could have been oily water i guess. Does that still sound normal ? As far as the choke my buddy told me to start it with the choke and then when it starts to sound like it might die unchoke and so on as you were describing. Once I got it started it ran for about seven seconds with the choke pulled out then it started to sound like it was gonna die then I pushed the choke in and it ran for another ten seconds then died. After that I tried starting it about four to fifty pulls and could not get it going. As far as the spark plugs being wet, this took place yesterday. Would there still be evidence of wetness if I check them tomorrow? It does have a rich and lean nob on the engine in between the choke and pull cord. On the handle there is a slow and fast for the speed of the motor. Not sure which one your talking about. The guy I bought it from was not even sure if the rich and lean nob worked.

#1: Love the name of your boat.

#2: I wouldn't jump to conclusions to fast. Like some of the others have said, I would try to blame it on unfamiliarity with the engine before getting too serious. If it was me, I would call the previous owner and ask if he has had any problems with the engine starting. Wait to tell him it went of the trailer on the road, as he might not be as willing to help.

The difference between the gear lube and unburned gas oil is pretty easy to distinguish. Unburned gas/oil will be black, stinky like exhaust. Gear lube, depending on how old, will usually be more yellow and because its leaking, will be subjected to water and may be somewhat milky.

"when I got the boat, oil was leaking out the prop". I'm assuming you mean from in front of the prop. This is not normal. There is no thru prop exhaust on this engine and if you see oil leaking there, it means the prop shaft seal or spaghetti seal around the gear case halves are leaking. I would say the gear case needs to be pressure/vacuum tested.

Check and/or change plugs as Frank suggested. Start with good clean fresh gas. Inspect fuel lines for cracks, leaks etc. Pump the primer bulb until firm. Those are usually very good starters and for the most part the choke will only need to be used until the engine fires the first time. Continuing to keep it choked for much longer can flood the heck out of it.

There is only a low speed idle mixture knob on this engine. To adjust it properly, turn clockwise until lightly seated. Back off counterclockwise approximatly 1 1/2 turns. This will put you in the ball park, it should run at this point. Once you get it running, adjust turning slowly counterclockwise until the engine wants to start stumbling then as you count the turns going slowly clockwise listen for the engine to idle at its highest point, right where it starts to surge a little. Then go half way back.

You've already gotten some great advice about the motor. Since you dropped the boat and are admittedly new to boating, I'd suggest that you cruise the forums looking for advice about loading and unloading a boat. It's been covered many times. Also, make yourself a quick checklist of things to do (like tying the boat down) that you can quickly look at as you load and unload the boat. You'll likely only need it the first few times, but it will help you not forget to do the important stuff!

What year is that Evinrude. It looks to be mid-70s to me but I can't tell.

The difference between the gear lube and unburned gas oil is pretty easy to distinguish. Unburned gas/oil will be black, stinky like exhaust. Gear lube, depending on how old, will usually be more yellow and because its leaking, will be subjected to water and may be somewhat milky.

"when I got the boat, oil was leaking out the prop". I'm assuming you mean from in front of the prop. This is not normal. There is no thru prop exhaust on this engine and if you see oil leaking there, it means the prop shaft seal or spaghetti seal around the gear case halves are leaking. I would say the gear case needs to be pressure/vacuum tested.

Check and/or change plugs as Frank suggested. Start with good clean fresh gas. Inspect fuel lines for cracks, leaks etc. Pump the primer bulb until firm. Those are usually very good starters and for the most part the choke will only need to be used until the engine fires the first time. Continuing to keep it choked for much longer can flood the heck out of it.

There is only a low speed idle mixture knob on this engine. To adjust it properly, turn clockwise until lightly seated. Back off counterclockwise approximatly 1 1/2 turns. This will put you in the ball park, it should run at this point. Once you get it running, adjust turning slowly counterclockwise until the engine wants to start stumbling then as you count the turns going slowly clockwise listen for the engine to idle at its highest point, right where it starts to surge a little. Then go half way back.

yes, it was leaking in front of the prop. Does that probably mean the seals you mentioned need to be replaced or different ones ? If you do flood the engine how do you fix that ?

Ya the lower unit should be resealed.

The easiest way to clear out a flooded engine is to pull the spark plugs out, move the boots off to the side and pull it over a few times. If you are out on the lake and cant take the plugs out, stop choking, make sure you are in neutral, advance the throttle a little and pull it over.

Another good trick for a flooded engine is to pull out the spark plugs and hold a lighter up to the electrodes for a second to burn off the excess fuel that has accumulated there.

I really think that you need to just get this motor in the water again. They really are kind of bullet proof and will run well, even if the lower unit oil is bad. Yes, it should be changed and the seals corrected, but let's get it running first before you pull everything apart.

I was running my '63 Johnson last weekend and it was being a little fussy to start. It would start on the second pull with the choke on, when it started to die I would throw the choke off. It would run for a few seconds and then die. To get it to run again, I would pull with the choke off. If it didn't start that way then I'd throw the choke on again and it would run like a champ. Sometimes these old motors just need a little extra patience.

Just love seeing this kind of help!

We've all been there. First boats/motors provide a learning experience for sure and if you are trying to do it "on the cheap" it is a challenge.

Invest in a pair of rabbit ears, if they will work on your motor. Other wise a 30+ plus gallon trash can. I say this because it is so much easier to work on / experiment with your motor in your driveway as opposed to at the lake. Also, when frustration takes over, you can take a break in the comfort of your home.

Well just wanna say thanks to everyone for there input. I have not gotten a chance to put any of this information to use yet. The other night I started working on it and left to pick up spark plugs my starter went out. Thanks again for the imfo its a big help when your trying to save a buck