• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need Help Choosing a D90 Lens

I'm set on getting a Nikon D90, but am looking for help in choosing the right lens. There are three options I'm considering and like most, I am looking to get the most bang for the buck. Here are my 3 options (all Nikkor glass):

1. AF-S DX 18-105 f/3.5-5.6 G ED VR lens

2. AF-S DX 55-200 f/4-5.6 G IF-ED lens

3. AF-S 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED lens

B&H does have a kit that includes options 1 & 3, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to swing that financially right now, so there is a good chance I'd only be able to go with 1 of the choices.

Thanks.

I would have to say option 1, due to the fact that if it is your only lense, both 55mm and the 70mm would be pretty rough taking a portrait style picture of say a fish or deer or something. You will want that 18mm for the nice wide angle options. YOu can always add a zoom later.

If this is going to be your only lens and you ever plan on shooting indoors #1 is going to be your best bet. The others are just to long, in my opinion, for a general use lens. My first lens was a 28-80 Tamron (piece of junk) on a Nikon D80 and even at 28mm I was very often wanting to go wider.

If you really want a 70-300 I would save a bit more money and get the 70-300 VR, it's a much better lens, probably worth more than it costs, and you'll really appreciate VR (image stabilization) at 300mm.

Get the D90 with the 18-105 or the 18-55 if you can find it that way and then get the 70-300 I saw the 70-300 lens advertised with a Nikon rebate for less than $500 dollars last week. You will not find a better stablized long lens for the price. If you are starting out the 18-105 is a very versatile and he 70-300 is the best lens you can add to that kit cost wise. I have both and shoot the 70-300 regularly, I also used the 18-105 to replac the 18-55 on my wife's camera so I wouldn't have to give it up. Good luck with the choices.

I have a D90 and 6 lenes, the 18-105 is the one I use the most. It replaced an 18-135 that I gave to my wife. The 70-300 is capable of giving great images but to get the best out of it you will need a tripod. I bought a 10-20 wide angle because I was sure the 18-105 wouldn't be wide enough. I've had for a year and a half and used it twice. I find the 18-105 takes care of most of my everyday needs.

Well, I have made this thread obsolete (for me at least) now as I've done a 180 in my buying process.

Its weird how you go into a buying process thinking your headed in 1 direction only to go down a completely different road the more you get into the process. I did this with my grill purchase a couple years ago. Going into it I had planned on a high end gasser and looked at some really nice grills that would have fit the bill, but the more I looked into it with some guidance from 'thirdeye' here on FM, I looked into the ceramics and the next thing you know I'm buying a Primo ceramic grill and I couldn't be happier with my decision.

This time I had gone into my camera buying thinking Nikon as I had previously years ago shot a N2000 and shoot 'generic shots' with a D70 & D80 at work. However, in my buying experience and with some help of fellow FMer's I'm going with a Canon. Just picked up a 70-200mm f/2.8 L series lens with IS off e bay and by Friday I'll be pairing it up with a Canon 50D. Just now sure if that is coming off of e bay yet or a fellow FMer.

Can't wait to get them together and sharing some pics.