• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Johnson 90HP V4 2 Stroke tough starting

jason007

I think it is a 1994 but not positive. I am having issues getting it to run in the driveway. It fires up and runs for like 2 or 3 seconds and then dies, I start it back up right away and it does the same thing, runs for 2 or 3 seconds and dies. I did this over and over maybe about 15 times. It seemed like it was starting to get a little better but gave up and figured I would give the starter a rest. Any suggestions?

Yeah, I ended up having over half a tank of fuel left in the boat, about 10 gallons but I added seafoam to it when I filled up the tank last year. Yes I definitely had the water muffs on the motor. I remember it being real tough to start the first time last year too, maybe because how I winterize it? I didn't run the motor and spray fogging fluid into it till it dies like I have heard other people do, I just pulled the 4 spark plugs and sprayed the fogging/winterizing fluid into the cylinders and finger tightened the plugs back in. It will be fine like last year after I finally spent enough time cranking it over but just wondering if I am making the problem worse somehow or if it that big of a deal to run last years gas even if it has seafoam in it. I guess to test out that theory I could pick up a portable gas can and run my motor off of that. I ran fine all last year, just issue with getting it going the first time of the year.

Did you prime the lines using the fuel bulb? Pump it up until you can feel that there is fuel there. It will firm up. Sounds to me like you've got air in the fuel line.

I'd follow Bob's advice above, and pull the plugs to see what they look like. If you sprayed a lot of fogging fluid into the cylinders it's possible your plugs need to be replaced.

I presume you're choking it, and have the throttle advanced slightly to get the RPM's up quickly?

marine_man

It sounds like my '84 Evinrude 90hp motor of old. It was a bit of a chore every spring for the first start. Takes awhile to flush out the fogging oil and get her running smoothly. One year I had all but given up and decided that two more pulls were warranted. Finally caught and held on that last pull. No issues the rest of the season.

I think it is a 1994 but not positive. I am having issues getting it to run in the driveway. It fires up and runs for like 2 or 3 seconds and then dies, I start it back up right away and it does the same thing, runs for 2 or 3 seconds and dies. I did this over and over maybe about 15 times. It seemed like it was starting to get a little better but gave up and figured I would give the starter a rest. Any suggestions?

Sorry no suggestions but I can tell you my dad had a '96 115 that did the same stuff. I saw a guy at the boat launch one spring with the same motor doing the same thing. Also it would smoke like nobody's buisness when it did start. I hated that motor....