• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

where are the Crappie at

stcspiderman

Welcom to the forum!

From what I'm hearing, they are biting on most of the lakes in Central Mn right now. Water temps were around 60 degrees on the lake I was on the other evening. Look for smaller lakes and the ones with bays are even better.

Nels

I fished in and around the Mille Lacs area from last Sunday thru last Wed. As the previuos reply stated water temps ranged from 60* to 56*. Fished the "back waters" of Mille Lacs and 2 other smaller lakes. Got skunked on the 2 samller lakes. But that could've been due to "my lack of skills"!

For my efforts I caught 8 fish. 3 11" and the others we threw back.

Other fisherman I know, caught 30 fish a day but they were small and I was going for bigger fish. Those who caught big numbers were fishing 18" down, casting (using a bobber) into 5' of water with minnows.

My sense is the Crappies are done spawning due to the early warm weather. Won't be long and we'll be fishing the first break (drop-off) at dusk. Hope this helps.

As of yesterday I was finding mostly male crappies in 2-3 ft water and the female fish holding tight to the first major break. Wont be long now and the spawn will start, males are real dark in color, females are plump and water temp is just about right on the lake I have been hitting.