• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Contendor Peach trees

kudu63

Hello, last year I planted two contendor peach trees and they grew about a foot. This spring it appears that one of them is dead and the other one only has new sprouts on two of the bottom branches. Does anyone have any experience in growing these peach trees. They are for zone 4 which I live in - hour west of TC area. I read a few reviews on them and people had success growing them farther north. Not sure if warm spells during winter hurt them. Anything I can do to try and save the one tree - Thanks.

I hate to say this, but central Minnesota is not always Zone 4. I'm in Buffalo and have had the same problems over the years. The thing is when we have the right conditions in the winter, we really see Zone 3 effects, especially in exposed locations. To add to the problem, some "Zone 4" labeled nursery stock is grown far south of here and is really only hardy to central Zone 4 conditions. Peach trees are a prime example of that and your observations are exactly what happens.

Hydro pretty much nailed it. To be safe, plant zone 3 plants in the west metro area, or known hardy plants.

... Anything I can do to try and save the one tree - Thanks.

Not really. Maybe transplant it to a protected area on the south side of your house or some evergreens?

I have had trouble trying to grow these for the last two years, I hear that they die because of the thawing and re-freezing like we usually have here in mn. It causes some sort of a fungus that attacks the root system, feel free to correct me if I am wrong but that is what I was told.

Now my asian pear tree is doing fine, it has been in the ground for three years now, already started to flower.

Another tip I herd about peach trees is that if you want them to survive here you will have to start them from a seed.

Yeah I was kind of figuring I was on the border line for the zone area. I purchased them from Gurney's and I called them last week and they will replace the one tree. I haven't received it yet but was wondering if in the fall it would help to put up a wire mesh around the tree and fill it with leaves to help with the cold weather for a few years. Being I'm getting another tree I will take another chance on it.

I had a peach tree that survived 2 winters because i made a chicken wire cage and filled it with leaves in the fall.The 3rd year i did not put up the cage and it did not make it.I replanted another one that was a foot tall and made a wire cage with leaves and its turning green.Looks like i will put a cage around it every year and see if i can keep it alive.

I also tried a Contender and I think I lost it, branches seem brittle, no buds yet. Holding out a little hope that it's still got a chance, some trees surprise you. I've researched peach trees a little and wanna give this one a try if the Contender dies: http://www.wallace-woodstock.com/peach/mckay.htm I've also read of others having success with the cage full of leaves so gonna try that too.

Thanks,

Josh