• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mega-white bass

I went fishing with my dad today and he caught this:

4524962038_79b0a2cf5d_m.jpg

I had kept 2 badly hooked sheepshead and told him I'd be smoking them, so he asked me to take his white bass home to smoke it. When I was about to fillet it, it hit me how big this really was. I had to go weigh it to see if it was a state record. It was not. It measured 19" long and weighed 3.85 lb.

He was jigging from a bridge when he hooked it and he only had 4 lb test. It was clearly too heavy to hoist so we had to get the rod down to the bank where it would have to go over a big log about 5 feet off shore. It took several minutes of thinking and planning to figure out how to land this fish. I guess the lesson is, bring your heavy tackle whenever there's a bridge.

If it was my fish, it would've been photographed a bunch and released, because I prefer eating the little guys. I don't think my mother-in-law is as supportive of decorating with mounted fish as some fishermen's wives might be. If it had weighed in over the record mark, I was going to mount it for him as a gift anyway. Unfortunately, it is currently in a brine.