• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Wiring Harness

coombia21

Yes it will be, there was a problem with some of the wires, not getting hooked up right or cut and other things, dealership said the best bet to solve some of the problems would be to just get a new harness, he also said it would take a lot less time than just fixing the wires that had problems. I was trying to figures out if there is somebody that makes wiring kits like the painless performance ones that are custom fit and labeled.

If your harness is not labeled from the factory, replacing it will not solve the problem, you will get the same harness. If Skeeter ( or whoever assembles them ) does not make them labeled, a replacement will be same.

A boat harness is a very complicated part, it can branch and splice under decks, and other hard to reach locations. I replaced some on Crestliner and Lund boats and I was able to remove the floor and decks to reach tough locations. You have a fiberglass boat, floors and decks don't come off. Look at the radio speakers location, the main harness will have them included, can you find the way to them ?

I would suggest trying to fix what you have, you might be better off and save some money in the long run.

What are the problems you are having? Make a list of what works and does not. Start looking at the things that don't work. Do these things work some times but not always?

I have never been in a Skeeter but I am guessing you have a fuse panel. This panel will power almost everything in your boat. Similar to your car or truck, Skeeter must have a wire diagram for your boat see if they will share it with you. If you are unable to track the problem replace the wiring for just that problem, or maybe it's a switch that went bad.

I feel for you I bought a used boat with some poor wiring etc I wound up spending a ton of time troubleshooting and re-wiring.

Good luck

The gauges dont work, when they do work they dont read even close to right. The trolling motor shorted the system, and the lights dont work accept for the in boat lights, and the fishfinders work sometimes.

Odd your trolling motor should be all on it's own with a 50amp fuse I think. Not sure how this would short the whole system.

I would check to make sure your Trolling motor is all alone with it's bank of batteries. everything else should be running from the starting battery.

Sounds to me to me that you have a bad ground. Possibly all these components share the same ground. With the short as you say The NAV lights and running light could have burnt wires or a bad switch as they are small 12v and I am guessing your TM is 24-36v?

Your volt meter will be your best friend.

The gauges dont work, when they do work they dont read even close to right. The trolling motor shorted the system, and the lights dont work accept for the in boat lights, and the fishfinders work sometimes.

A lot of weird things going on here...

1) Your gauges are a completely different system, tied to your outboard motor, and not part of the boat's accessories harness

2) As pointed out above, your Trolling Motor is on it's own circuit as well, and consists of the wires from your batteries to your trolling motor plug... that's it

3) The boat lights & likely the locators are part of the integral harness, but should not be too difficult to trouble shoot.

I'm not sure where you want to go with this, but it sounds like you have a couple of issues.. I'd start with your ground connection between the battery and all the cables and make sure it's not corroded, and is clean.

marine_man

Your first order of business is to see if you can get a wiring diagram from Skeeter. With that in hand you can isolate what works and what does not, then address the problems sequentially from the last point where things worked.

Without the diagram you have to trace and figure out each circuit. Not child's play by any stretch of the imagination.