• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How much foam is needed?

gritsnham

I have an alumacraft MV style boat and under the floor in the front is all foam. I wanted to cut a 1x2 area or so out of the front deck and add a storage compartment and was just wondering how much purpose this foam is really serving in the front of the boat?

Thanks for the input

You need enough foam to keep the boat from sinking with you and all your stuff in it. As a rough approximation, about 1 cubic foot for every 60 pounds of total weight (you don't have to count the full weight of wood, tanks of gas, and people, since wood and gas float, and people almost float)

So measure the volume of foam and take it from there.

Make certain you replace all foam somewhere else in the same general area it was removed from.If you happen to have an unfortunate incident you want your vessel to float so you and your passengers have something to cling to if need be.If your vessel sinks so will your insurance coverage.P.s. I know this sounds like a pain in the %^% but if you reconfigure your vessel you should do a float test.(Swamp your boat to see the it floats in an upright manner)Good luck.c63

Actually the foam does nothing for flotation unless the boat is full of water. The boat hull displaces the water and provides the necessary flotation, which is why it floats in the first place.

Without the foam, an aluminum boat will not float well enough to prevent sinking if it fills with water.

And having flotation in case of a swamping is the whole point. And a legal requirement at least for the manufacturer of said boat. Wearing a life jacket only helps you if you fall in the lake. What is your point?

I decided im going to go ahead and add the compartment, there is plenty of space that I should be able to add an equal amount of foam compared to what I remove. I dont plan on swamping the boat but like everyone said it will be best if it floats if that should happen....

Thanks for the input