• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

warning buzzer?

LETSgoFISHIN

got the boat out for the first time yesterday and when we started to troll a loud continuous beep started. i shut it off and started it again and it did it again. shut it off again for a minute or so and started it again and it didnt do it again. motor is 150 mercury opti max my question is why was it buzzing? thanks, darren smile

A steady continous warning horn is an overheat alarm. A worn impeller is usually the culprit. I have also seen the warning modules on older Mercs malfunction. Do not ignore the problem though, it sounds like it may in for a new impeller. Even if it appears to have a good steady stream coming out of the pump indicater, the impeller blades can still be worn and not pump as efficiently.

My book says a continuous beep could be, cooling system problem, oil level is critically low, oil pump failure, sensor out of range.

Low oil reserve is four beeps every two minutes, so is water in fuel.

I'd also recommend that you obtain an owner's manual for your motor. It's good piece of mind to look it up while your on the water, versus damaging something during the return trip because you needed to go onto your favorite internet forum to ask what is wrong!

I am not sure if it is the same as our EFI but that sound also could be the fuel water separator just doing its thing. If you have enough water in the fuel (separator anyway) it will beep just like you described. Ours has a little LED light under the cowl - if the light is ON when the key is turned on, that is just empty out the filter, put it back on, empty again when it collects water, anddo this about three or four times, then go get a new filter and put it on, and you are good to go. Then just figure out why there was water in fuel wink

But not sure if Opti is the same. Good luck.

I am having the same problem with my boat. Only difference is I ran my boat two weeks prior and put half a tank of gas through it with no problems. The only difference is I put the fin back on the motor. I ran the boat and started getting the alarm. The water pump and impellar are less than a year old. Is it common for it to be working properly one week and two weeks later have the water pump or impellar go bad, or is it possible the fin is restriciting the flow of water into the lower unit?

Welcome to Fishing Minnesota Bweston!

In the future I'd start a new thread... no big deal though.

I really doubt if your water pump is less than a year old that it's the problem, and I have a hard time believing the fin has anything to do with it.

Can you give me a little more info on your motor, and what warning buzzer you were hearing (intermittent beep, constant beep) and when you heard it (idle, high idle, etc)?

marine_man