• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pigeons for Training

sparetime

I'm new to pointing breeds and I am fumbling my way through. Thankfully the dog is smarter than me.

Anyway, can anyone suggest how to get pigeons? I need a few for him to "play" with. How do I keep them alive? What size cage do I need for 3-4 birds. Any idea what is a reasonable price?

I have let the pup play with a dead bird, now I need to get him on some live birds. Do the hunt clubs offer anything like this I should look into? I've got plenty of room to work, so if I can do it on my own, that would be better.

Any tips are appreciated.

You can find them at certain hunt clubs but your going to pay a little mark up. If you check around a bit you can find some people that whole sale them out.

Just like if you want some pheasants or chuckars, the clubs will charge you a higher price than if you go to the grower up in Princeton area. Their minimum is 10 i believe.

You can also see if you can find a Racing Pigeon clubs in the state, these guys raise Homeing pigeons and cull there birds when they don't make the grade. I had hommers for a while and the nice thing about them is you can plant and flush them and most of the time they beat you home, to be reused.

If you know a farmer with some in his barn they are relatively easy to catch. We used to go after the sun went down and you could just shine them with a light and use a landing net to catch them. As kids we would get hundreds every summer and give them to people we knew that were training dogs.

Any farmers have those pesky critters in there barn staining wood with their Highly corrosive "leavings"? IF SO! You're in luck, I'd be willing to spend a few short minutes after sundown rounding up those varmints for a special price of free. lol

But seriously if someone does know anyone who'd part with some birds please let me know.