• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2001 Mercury 60hp 4-Stroke

-Marc V-

I'm thinking of getting a boat that has a 2001 Mercury 60hp 4-Stroke, and wondering if anyone has any insight or expirence with this motor. Thought I had heard Mercury struggled a bit with their 4-stroke motors around this time.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Marc

Only thing probably would be the lack of EFI. I have an 02' 75hp 4 stroke and it works great. Just wish I had an EFI so that it ran a bit smoother. I religiously use the non-oxygenated gas and ad Sea Foam to it. 1 year after I had it I did get it out for about 1 month and had just straight 87 octane in it without sea foam and one carb stuck. Ran it to the dealer not knowing and they got it clear without ripping things too much apart (shot some air in). They then told me to then make sure to run the non-oy gas and use sea foam or stabile. I also try to run my tank down to almost nothin in the fall or pump it out at the end of the year so that I can start wit some fresh gas.

I had a 50 hp 2001 mercury 4 stroke with carbs. Nothing but issues with the carbs gumming up. Did everything mercury suggestive as far as preventive maintanence. Had it in the shop 3 years in a row getting carbs cleaned. After $300 each time to get the carbs cleaned, I finally traded the carbed model for an EFI. Night and day. No issues since.

Try as wavewacker suggested maybe you will be luckier than I was.

And yes I did everything wavewacker suggested plus some to no avail.

I I can say is do what you can if anything to keep the carbs clean.

Mike

Yeah, biggest problem is the Ol' man just ordered up a new boat and it's going to have a 90hp Merc. 4stroke EFI plus he's going to have the big tiller handle kit on it compared to my standard. Darn it, I can't help but to think about upgrading but I know I'm going to be VERY disappointed in what they would give me for mine.

What other methods did you use to try to keep things clean?