• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Media Center pc or something else? Archos?

hi folks

I'm setting up my basement entertainment area and am looking at options for video/music/etc on my LCD.

couple of things:

I'd like to be able to view/play songs via the TV and

maybe view/record TV shows in 1080 (aka DVR) as well?

probably also be nice to be able to surf the net with TV as the monitor also....although wireless laptop may be easier

I'm just trying to figure out my best options for this?

A Windows media center PC in my entertainment center? I've also read some things about Archos and others but really dont understand much of it.

I will be using DirectTV, Wii, Xbox, Blue Ray player, and Pioneer home theater receiver. I have 2 coax lines and 2 ethernet lines going into the area.

Any tips or advice would be welcomed! I'm on a budget also

I would check and see how much the DVR rental is through Direct TV. We have ours through Comcast and it does a pretty good job. Previously had a Tivo and not sure I would go that route again.

As far as media goes, you can get systems that will stream everything but they aren't cheap. A good alternative would be an XBox 360 or PS3 which can stream music, video, etc....

You could also just use your laptop, and if it has an HDMI out on it, just plug it into the TV/stereo whenever you want to do those kinds of things.

Just depends on what you want to do, how much you want to spend, etc.....