• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

spring birds

half-dutch

I've had a bluebird in my yard a week ago. Was out walking today at the state park and saw a grouse, a few common mergansers, an immature bald eagle, a few redwinged blackbirds and a whole bunch of birds I couldn't identify. Sounded like a symphony, though. Nice day for a walk in the woods.

Last night we had our first pair of Junco's arrive at the feeder. We have a Male Cardinal that is always calling out every morning looking for a mate I would guess but it makes it sure sounds great and just like spring.

Just looked out the window and now we have 2 pairs of Junco's

and a whole bunch of birds I couldn't identify. Sounded like a symphony, though.

Odds are they were juncos. They are making their way north through Minnesota right now. We've had them for a week or so up here. There can be literally scores of them within hearing at the same time, and they make a very cool combination of twitters, chips and warbling whistles during this season. Multiply that by 100 and it's a lot of song. smile

Nex time you are out, look for sparrow-sized birds that look brown or charcoal, and with a white feather on each side of the tail when they fly. They'll be on or near the ground.

We have the juncos hopping through our yard now and should be here for a month or so before the last one heads north. The Goldfinch flock that was here this winter has dispersed too and only pairs visit the feeder. Not sure if it is one or more yet.