• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Got the Alumacraft out on it's maiden voyage yesterday.....

CRFan1

I live in Indiana close to lake michigan btw, hehe. grin IHave a 2010 Classic 165CS

I went out with my neighbor and my son (on spring break) at 11am and we decided to head over to the local marina on Lake Michigan. It was around 49 degrees and I wanted to get a little time on the motor and do a systems check. We got out and did that and I have to say I am Impressed with this boat! It rides great and the 60 Merc 4 stroke (efi) is a NICE motor. It would hit 30 trimmed up with 3 of us in the boat against a good wind and decent chop. The ride is fantatstic. So, after making sure all systems were go, we decided to try for some Smallies but we had no luck. The water was 38 degrees! We than decided to troll some crankbaits over by one of the break walls in 27 FOW and low and behold, I caught a 4-5 pound brown trout and than about 20 minutes later I hooked a 2 pound Coho! All in all a fun day, the boat did great and I have decided I LOVE the autopilot and the co-pilot on the Minn Kota laugh

The first thing I was gonna ask is where did you go?! I've been dying the past few weeks with the boat sitting idle in the garage. With the weather we've been having. I should be out on some lake by next week in Mpls. I've got the co-pilot on my boat right now and have really enjoyed having it. The technology that is finally coming into the trolling motor market is pretty amazing. Good luck to ya' this year.

The first thing I was gonna ask is where did you go?! I've been dying the past few weeks with the boat sitting idle in the garage. With the weather we've been having. I should be out on some lake by next week in Mpls. I've got the co-pilot on my boat right now and have really enjoyed having it. The technology that is finally coming into the trolling motor market is pretty amazing. Good luck to ya' this year.

We were on the southern end of lake michigan.....we have no more Ice down here. We had ice out about 2 weeks ago smile

I am looking forward to my yearly trip to Whitefish lake (first week of June) up your way. I am praying you guys have a good spring this year because the last 2 have been pretty crummy, hehe.

I'm jealous. It makes me want to bring mine down the next time I visit family in Milwaukee. I'd have to hope for good conditions and keep close to shore since my 165 Navigator isn't made for big waters.

I'd love to see a picture of those brown trout if you've got one.

Hahah...Box, my neighbor who was with me took some pics but I have to get him to e-mail them to me. grin

Skunked, your navigator is actually wider than my Classic so it will do just fine (I have a classic 165 CS). I am not sure about Milwaukee but from Chicago and around the south end of the lake there are a lot of harbors and breakwalls so you really can do it no problem. You don't want to be out on a north or northwest wind but in the summer, the most common wind is a south or southwest and the lake is very manageable. Just respect it and don't venture 3 miles out, hehe. Warmer weather brings Jumbo perch (like 14-16"!!) and along any of the rock or steel breakwalls you can catch big smallmouths!

Yup - Everytime I put the boat in, I hum a few lines from the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. It gets me in the mood to play it safe...especially on bigger waters!

LOL...I may have to try that grin

I've read your posts all winter and I'm glad you got out. I was pretty confident that 60 hp motor would work well on your boat smile

I am happy with the motor! It does not "pop" out of the hole but gets on plane in a decent amount of time and I am happy with 30mph (considering I had 3 people in it). Plus it is VERY smooth and quiet smile Actually I love the boat altogether! I was surprised at how well it rode and we stayed very dry.

One thing that I will need to watch is the trolling motor batteries. I put a 24V 70 pound Minn Kota on and after trolling for about 4 hours, 2 of which were close to (or at) full power (trolling into the wind/waves), I pretty much drained the batteries smile I am not sure if that's good or bad. They probably gave me junky batteries for the trolling motor though......