• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Time yet for the tick juice

Tom7227

my wife is pulling ticks off our dog right as i type. i think she's got about 10 tonight already. Dog has had two doses of Frontline Plus already this year, we just live around tick heaven apparently. none of the ticks we've pulled off her this year have been filled up yet and many have been dead, so it's doing it's job apparently. We are going to check out some different types of tick juice or maybe some high-test stuff from the vet after this months dose wears off. if you don't have anything on your dogs yet i recommend doing it ASAP.

Make sure you research what you are putting on your dogs. After I used front line my dog started having siezures and died far too soon.

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm169831.htm#CautionwithSpot-OnProducts

Caution with Spot-On Products

In April 2009, EPA issued an advisory concerning spot-on pesticide products for flea and tick control in cats and dogs. The advisory applies to approximately 70 products registered by EPA.

EPA is intensifying its evaluation of these products due to recent increases in the number of reported bad reactions. The reactions range from mild skin irritation to skin burns, seizures, and, in some cases, death. In May 2009, EPA met with registrants of spot-on pet pesticide products to discuss pet incident reports and EPA’s plans for enhanced evaluation of these products. EPA’s evaluation may result in actions such as additional label restrictions or cancellation of registration to remove certain spot-on products from the market.

Spot-on flea and tick products can be effective treatments, and many people use the products with no harmful effects to their pets. EPA does not advise pet owners to stop using spot-ons, but asks them to use caution and make informed decisions when selecting treatment methods.

EPA advises pet owners to

carefully follow label directions and monitor their pets for any signs of a bad reaction after application, particularly when using these products for the first time

talk to a veterinarian about responsible and effective use of flea and tick products

Health Canada (the Canadian federal health department) has identified similar concerns about the use of spot-on flea and tick products, and is working with EPA to address the issue.

A couple observations about Frontline. My wife picked some up the other day, which i returned today. It was $97 for six doses. Absurd.

Every year for many past we have used something, and in later years it has been Frontline. BUT.....I STILL pick a few ticks off our dogs during tick season. So it does NOT prevent ALL ticks.

I am not going to pay $97 twice for two dogs when we have not found a flea on them for several years and I still have to take a tick off occasionally anyway. I fully intend to find SOMETHING but I will not be hijacked by Frontline and my vet. Maybe EX vet.

deleted...

not worth it....sorry...But what is wrong with you? traveling salesman...bringing your pup with, really...do you have to ask?

Why should i not bring him with?? Just out of curiousity? should i leave him home in his crate all day long instead? I am open to criticism and other ideas!

Originally Posted By: gr8icefishinmind
Deleted, not worth it with someone that thinks they know EVERYTHING in every topic, but really should be open to others opinion!!!

Which opinion are you talking about, find one...I never said I know all, I have been very clear on that since I started posting here. Pretty sure I have explain everything I have written in detail.

I am a very new dog trainer (<2 years), just like you....All I did was give how I do things, never once told anyone they were wrong...there is just

other ways.

=

I totally agree, it is just how you word things i guess! It makes you sound like a know it all and that no matter what anyone else does, it is wrong!!

Originally Posted By: Walleye Widower
deleted...

not worth it....sorry...But what is wrong with you? traveling salesman...bringing your pup with, really...do you have to ask?

Why should i not bring him with?? Just out of curiousity? should i leave him home in his crate all day long instead? I am open to criticism and other ideas!

What! do what you feel works...absolutly bring him with, I bring one with almost every day, why ask...does correcting a dog during teaching your dog an exercise feel right, is it the best way? How do you train, what are you talking about?

HAHA.........thanks but no thanks, i saw your video and was not too interested! I have a PROVEN trainer that i will be going to when my pup reaches 5 months of age and it will be a great learning experience for myself as well as my lab!! Especially for me since it is my first time training a pup!! But thanks for the offer!! wink P.S. I am not from this [PoorWordUsage] hole, just live here for now! haha!

ok...........no more!! she is a proven trainer in my area, and that is all the info i am going to give you cause i am sure you will find something you do not like! I have seen and know many of the dogs that come from her training and they are amazing dogs both in the field and socially!!

But no more now, if you want to continue this my e-mail is [YouNeedAuthorization]@hotmail.com! this topic is going off topic!