• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fruit Trees

Islandlaker

Hey guys I am looking at planting a bunch of fruit tress throughout my property. The thing is I only want to get the small saplings like 1 foot tall. I am planning on using those plantra things. The problem is I can't seem to find any fruit trees that size anywhere! I have called several local nurseries and no one can help me out.I have also tried the internet and places say they have them but then it ends up being only 3-5 foot trees. Do any of you guys know where i can get some fruit trees this size?

I don't think you will be able to find fruit trees that small.Almost all fruit trees are named varieties grafted onto hardy rootstocks.3 feet or so will be the smallest you will find.

Have you checked with South St Louis County Soil and Water Conservation flyer (I was sent one in the mail) they have the size trees your looking for but I dont think they had fruit trees ,,,a phone call may get you more info

LAS

I don't think you will be able to find fruit trees that small.Almost all fruit trees are named varieties grafted onto hardy rootstocks.3 feet or so will be the smallest you will find.

Ken is spot on. Most fruit trees are made from a branch from a living fruit tree and then grafted onto rootstock. You wouldn't save any costs by taking a 1 foot branch vs a 3 foot branch. Besides, it would be tough to get a straight central trunk if you started off with a 1 foot height. You are certainly paying for some of the fruit royalties (if patented by say U of M for example, Honeycrisp) and also the labor and time to graft the branch to the rootstock.