• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HIGH END BLANKS

Hi Guys,

Thinking about building a new rod as I prefer a Tennesee style handle and there just aren't many choices out there in production rods in a 7 footer.

My question is, is there that much difference between a $50 to $75 blank and a $150 blank? I'm wondering if there isn't just a lot of ego or chest beating going on there.

Rodmaker pretty much nailed it, at least in simple terms that do really matter. But I will add that after a bit you reach a point of diminishing returns. Something 3/4 the way up the quality scale is probably going to be your best bargain, past that you are paying a lot more for small increases in quality.

Im all in agreement that you get what you pay for... but...

I have built some awesome rods on 40-60 dollar blanks. Good lightweight guides and a blanced handle design with the right weight reel will equalize alot of things. Add fireline/braids and you'll have a hard time telling the diff in blank priceing.

The only blanks on the lower end I dont like are the IM6's. Just too slow and dull. But thats personal preference.

Personal preference and what application your shooting for play a huge part in blank/rod choice...

That SCIII is a real nice blank cool

There a quite a few 'IMX clones' (and the Rainshadows) out right now that are a much better choice than SC3--IMHO. They are all import blanks if that matters to you. I have several SC3 rods and find that the newer glossy blanks are not all that light or sensitive or worth what they sell for. I'd choose something else for your fist build.

Castaway blanks are very nice blanks and are very reasonable on the wallet too. They are also very light. I recently finished an 8 foot crankbait rod that weighs less than 3 ounces finished. They have several blanks on closeout right now for $12-25 that might fit what you are looking for. Do a search on the web and you can find them a key word: swampland

That being said, I still love my SCIV's and will always be a fan of high end blanks.

You said it best. You get what you pay for. Alot depends on what type of fishing you do. If you are throwing cranks/ spinners for bass you can get buy with a little cheaper blank.

If you are fishing Eyes/ rigging live bait you want an Avid or Legend Elite.

When comparing different mfg's blanks, you better make sure you are comparing apples to apples.;

If you want an ultra light for ppannies and use a bobber , you can get buy with a cheaper blank.

The type of species/application is what it's all about for the rod you are trying to find/build.

The Castaways I am refering to are not your average cheapo blank. They were discontinued by Castaway and Swampland is a distributor who has them on sale at the same price that they were offered at the ICRBE. I would not recommend the blanks if I thought they were junk. Since sensitivity is brought up, a full cork tennessee grip will dampen the vibrations that are sent down the blank from whatever happens to be causing the vibrations on the other end of the line, which will reduce that type of sensitivity compared to the full graphite handles since that material has a higher density. The most sensitive would likely be a split reel seat configuration to allow maximum blank contact by the hand of the fisherman.