• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jay Bilas... Selection Show

Coach1310

Did anyone one hear Bilas' little rant about how he was irritated with discussing who got snubbed and why this team was one of the last ones in instead of that team??? He kept going on and on about how this tournament is about the favorites and not the last team in..... I found it kind of funny because nobody really remembers who won this championship or that one unless you are emotionally attached, but a lot of folks remember George Mason, Bryce Drew's buzzer beater for Valpo and the many great finishes like it.... I also think it is funny because if the only thing the networks covered were the big dogs, a lot of the so called "experts" like Bilas wouldn't have a job!

i got sick of that dude on espn continually whining that virginia tech should be in instead of gophers..everyone else was refuting it but he kept going on and on....couldnt believe that kentucky finish.. that one made me nervous....btw--how do you get tickets for xavier? online at u of mn?

I heard Seth Greenberg(the coach for VTech) on Sporting News radio talk about how Bilas(although he didn't name names, he said a media personality)was saying that if you didn't make this years tourney you weren't a good basketball team... I used to like Duke, but the more and more I hear their guys talk, the more and more I get the "silver spoon" feeling when they open their mouths....

I guess if the only thing that matters in the NCAA tourney is the big dogs, maybe we should cut the tourney to 16 teams instead of expanding it to 96..

Did anyone one hear Bilas' little rant about how he was irritated with discussing who got snubbed and why this team was one of the last ones in instead of that team??? He kept going on and on about how this tournament is about the favorites and not the last team in..... I found it kind of funny because nobody really remembers who won this championship or that one unless you are emotionally attached, but a lot of folks remember George Mason, Bryce Drew's buzzer beater for Valpo and the many great finishes like it.... I also think it is funny because if the only thing the networks covered were the big dogs, a lot of the so called "experts" like Bilas wouldn't have a job!

The point he was trying to make was directed to the ncaa wanting to add more teams to the tournament and how no matter how many teams they put in there is always going to be the debate as to who did and did not get in the tournament!! I think it is plain stupid to add more teams that basically do not have a chance of winning the championship! The "cinderella stories" are fun and what not but I want to see the best teams play each other, not some unknown team get lucky one night only to get blown out the next game they play!! The lowest seeded team to ever win the championship is an 8 seed!

He never once said anything like "Hey NCAA... you shouldn't add more teams.." If you read into it and that is what you think he was saying, I can understand that, but the bottom line is, you never know!! The NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament is the greatest sporting event in all of sports. Tons of storylines, great drama, David vs. Goliath etc... I don't think it is just about the best playing the best... I would guess that the run George Mason made and their games had better ratings that a #1 vs. a #2 regional final, but maybe not.... it usually comes down to 2 of the top 4-8 team a 1 vs 1 or a 1 vs 2 or a 2 vs 2.. so it weeds itself out anyway... no reason to change it in my opinion.

Also, once upon a time, like you said a #8 seed, so around the 30th best team in the country won it.... what other sport can you say that?? That is what makes it great in my opinion...

I totally agree, i wasn't bad mouthing the tournament at all! I am one of the biggest college basketball fans there is!! And actually he did say that they shouldn't add more teams when he went on his speal that day!! And I agree 100%! The only reason the ncaa wants to do it is for more money! And as far as a ratings standpoint, that is why they don't show the 1 vs 16 games cause they are more than likely blowouts and they show the closer matchups instead!! They are great games to watch and the underrated teams are a blast to watch cause they have something to prove!

I just had to update this thread.... Bilas talking about this tournament beign about the BEST teams in basketball.... sorry Kansas... we thought you were the best, but now your gone, so I guess we should quit paying attention, right Bilas????

I agree with Bilas. Enough of the talk about these teams who didn't make it in. Earn your way in. They had their chance and didn't get it done. Don't worry, you're still going to get 12's beating 5's and the Northern Iowa's of the world beating the Goliaths even if Sister Mary's School of the Poor doesn't make the tourney.

Also, enough of the talk about expanding the tourney. Maybe we should give everyone a participation ribbon too.

I understand what Bilas is saying, but we hear about Kentucky, Kansas, Duke etc.. all year long.... the one and done, the storylines and the cinderellas are what make the tourney what it is.

I hate the idea of expanding the tourney.... don't fix something that isn't broken.

The one thing that gets me is.... how can we talk about expanding the tourney another weekend with a whole bunch more teams, but we can't have a football playoff because the student-athletes will miss too much class??

Happy Birthday Coach!

I think most people want to leave the tourney as it is. The reasons for changing I have heard include more money generated (go figure) and the fact that NCAA D1 hoops is the format in which the fewest % of teams qualify for postseason play, at under 20% (65 of 300-something). It's not like there are teams that don't qualify that might have ran the tablet all the way....the closest thing to that was George Mason a few years back but the didn't win the whole enchilada either. Leave it as it is.