• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hooney Spear Pics

Sunnie

P1010011_0011.jpg

P1010013_0013.jpg

jimsspear009.jpg

Elwood here are the Hooney spear pictures, hope you enjoy. If anyone has a line one of these I sure would be interested. This one throws straight as an arrow without a doubt. Also my Dillo is by 1 eater and 1 smoker from last month. Note:the fish extracter my dad made for those hard to release head shots easy to make and saves a lot of hasstle so you can get right back to staring down the hole.

Sunnie thanks for posting pictures of the spear. That is a serious piece of metal for sure....Good Dillo design with great barb work and some nice features that make it unique. I really like it - especially the line tie and the reinforced outer tine bases.

I see that the spear had been painted at one time. One of the Pimple spears I have had been painted dark green. Over the decades almost all of it has worn off leaving behind a nice hue of well aged steel.

I have heard from more than one source, and from one of our local contemporary master spear makers that it is not considered to be a good idea to add paint to a hand made or forged spear. When I picked up my spear from him he specifically told me: "whatever you do don't ever put paint on it." I think it has to do with notion that the metal work of the spearmaker should not be obscured, and the spear will stand alone just fine with a gradually accumulating patina over time. That being said, the Hooney spear in your picture depicts a very fine spear, among the nicest of the dillo type spears I have seen.