• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Daughter wants to bow hunt Licence requirements??

jkjkoda

She will need her Gun Safety Certificate and must be able to shoot a 30# bow. That's it. If she will still be 11 during the archery season there is a one-time Hunter Apprentice certifacte that will wave the gun safety for her first season. (I believe that is valid for the archery season, I know it is for gun deer and turkey)

Donbo, just so I'm clear, that makes the minimum age for archery in MN 11? If you can get an apprentice cert. only one time, and I think you have to be 12 to get your hunters safety cert, then I assume that's true. Just checking as this will be relevant for me in not too many years.

• A resident age 10 or 11 may take big game without a firearms safety

certificate if they are under direct supervision and within immediate

reach of a parent or guardian. Resident youth age 10 or 11 must

obtain a free license in order to take big game.

Page 18 of MN Regulations.

Actually it looks like at 10 and 11 they don't even need the Hunter Apprentice as long as you sit with them and don't carry your own weapon.

The Hunter Apprentice is for those 12 and over who don't have Gun Safety and would like to try hunting once before they go through the class.

However, for what it's worth I doubt too many 10, 11 or even 12 year old girls are capable of shooting enough weight for a good clean kill. Please don't jump all over me for that quote as I'm sure some can handle it, but most are probably doing it at the request of an over amped-up Dad.

Thanks guys- I appreciate the info.

Donbo, I wonder what percentage of 10 year old boys can pull 30 lbs? Obviously, there'd be a smaller percentage of 10 year old girls who could. Some could, but not that many I bet.

Also, regardless of the 30 lb minimum, my son (and eventually my daughter) will need to be flinging an arrow that passes the smell test for me. Simply pulling 30 lbs isn't necessarily enough for me. But, given where technology is going with bows, in five years my kid will probably be able to draw a 35 lb bow and shoot at 250 fps!

Sorry, didn't mean to single out the girls. You're probably righ, in fact most girls at that age might just be ahead of boys physically and emotionally.

The only real problem I have with kids starting too early is most don't understand, emotionally, what it means to take a life. Pretty serious stuff to me, something I don't take lightly.

Weather they shoot or not it maybe how there taught to respect and enjoy nature. The choice must be theres. Donbo you are right about the amped up dad sindrome. You always wont it to be a good experience. weather they just sit and watch or wont to take a deer you must know if your child emotionaly ready. For me it is more about the close encouters that you have bow hunting.the art of stand placement as well as pics from trail cams. some of the pics ive got are priceless to me and my Daughter.