• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

State High-school Hockey

scsavre

Here are the brackets.

AA

Edina vs. Roseau (11 a.m.)

Blaine vs. Apple Valley (1 p.m.)

Minnetonka vs. Lakeville North (6 p.m.)

Hill-Murray vs. Duluth East (8 p.m.)

A

Mahtomedi vs. Alexandria (11 a.m.)

Hermantown vs. Virginia (1 p.m.)

Breck vs. New Ulm (6 p.m.)

Warroad vs. Rochester Lourdes (8 p.m.)

Looks like a pretty good tourny,

3 top 5 teams in AA and only 2 non top 15 teams.

Class A is pretty text book, 4 out of the 5 top 5 teams in. No st thomas.....

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the senior goaltender for Warroad quit the team recently. I hope they can win class A. I always look forward to Minnesota state High school hockey tourament. Go Warroad, go Rams.

If Hills goalie continues to stay hot, they will blow away the tourny like they did a few years ago.

Only let in 1 goal in the 3 section games. After them, I have to agree, Go Rams and Warriors.

So i just noticed that hill is the 4th seed. That doesnt make sense. they should clearly be #2. problem now is that the best 2 teams minnetonka and hill play in semi finals.

Getting a little ahead of ourselves aren't we? I will cyber bet you 10 imaginary dollars Duluth takes down HM.

Hill over Edina in the finals, I just threw up all over my keyboard! Lucky for me I am predicting Roseau and Duluth with upsets in the quarters so I think that cancels your prediction.

Are these going to be shown on tv? or do we need to wait until the semi finals

Yes`channel 45 KSTC starting around noon Weds with the`class A tourney.

Should be a good one.

I'll have to think about this. I do only have one wish that Warroad lose's. I can't stand good programs that play down in the JV tourney when they should be playing in the big dance. Throw in the fact they recruit and have Canadians playing.... UGGGH!

Pier- I don't know what Canadians have to do with anything but recruiting is a part of all high school sports. I don't like it but it happens everywhere - mostly in the cities where people can drive to another school in a reasonable amount of time. You can't stop the recruiting when parents are willing to do insane things just so their kids can go to schools with better sports programs - and it isn't all recruiting either.

I will be cheering for the teams not from the metro, mostly because of the recruiting thing.

Pier, I too will now be cheering against Warroad, thanks for bringing me up to speed.

This is an argument that I have never understood. Ok, so yes, the metro private schools recruit, kind of. It is mainly just kids deciding to go to the school. Maybe my info is a bit dated, but how can the public schools recruit? Do you not have school districts? If I want to play for Eden Prairie, do I not have to live there? I know there are a few open enrollment schools, maybe there are more now.

I just love when the up north schools try to make this argument. If they had their hometowns listed many of the kids were from other schools. I remember Duluth East, really meant every school within 30 miles.

So I will be cheering for Hill, a school of a few hundred kids grades 7-12, that usually doesnt have many trouble making kids on it.

Pier, I too will now be cheering against Warroad, thanks for bringing me up to speed.

This is an argument that I have never understood. Ok, so yes, the metro private schools recruit, kind of. It is mainly just kids deciding to go to the school. Maybe my info is a bit dated, but how can the public schools recruit? Do you not have school districts? If I want to play for Eden Prairie, do I not have to live there? I know there are a few open enrollment schools, maybe there are more now.

I just love when the up north schools try to make this argument. If they had their hometowns listed many of the kids were from other schools. I remember Duluth East, really meant every school within 30 miles.

So I will be cheering for Hill, a school of a few hundred kids grades 7-12, that usually doesnt have many trouble making kids on it.

A Hill guy cheering against Warroad? They are like your little cousins (hockey factory) from the north. I will agree with you about the whole "recruiting" thing - its not recruiting, just kids and parents who are attracted to winning and will do what it takes. Many of the private schools and some public schools are like magnets for talented players. I wouldn't call it unfair but it certain gives some teams an advantage, and makes it all that easier to cheer against those teams.

rayguy the Pios look solid on D but I think Minnetonka has 3 D1 recruits on the blueline so you might get an argument out of some people.

tough shat! the metro private schools (Hill, STA, Benilde, Holy Angels) have good team year after year because of "recruiting" if you call it... so Warroad has the "right" to do it too! The only difference is that Warroad makes the state tourn...sorry JV Tournament every year. GO Rams and Warriors! smile

tough shat! the metro private schools (Hill, STA, Benilde, Holy Angels) have good team year after year because of "recruiting" if you call it... so Warroad has the "right" to do it too! The only difference is that Warroad makes the state tourn...sorry JV Tournament every year. GO Rams and Warriors! smile

Its hard to fault tiny Warroad or any other small school for trying to attract talent. When dealing with public schools they usually have a good to great team of locals coming up through the ranks that helps attract other talented players from the area. They also have some down years where the talent just isn't there, this usually affects the smaller schools much more than the larger schools. You don't see too many down years from the privates these days, they tend to reload every year which also paints a target on their backs and makes them so much fun to cheer against.

Hey Quac, why does Bemidji pretty much never have a good hockey team? They are far larger than all the range cities and most of the north. I lived there for 5 years and could never figure it out. Kids just didnt care about hockey there. I remember the outdoor rinks were never used by high-school or bantam kids.

Either way go mean green. Hill-Murray being around, and being so good for so long really doesnt recruit. It doesnt have to. There are so many second generations that always want to go there now. By the way the recruiting is usually done by the players. And with all these summer leagues it is easier than ever. I know it was players that got myself and brother to go there.

I guess finding out about the northern schools recruiting, or whatever we wanna call it just makes me loose a little respect for them. Wasn't their enrollment and city size the reason so many people liked these schools anyway. I thought they didnt have to recruit. It was always a great story, a town of 3000 coming down to stp and being competitive. I guess if these kids are form all over, and Canada, it isnt the same for me.

Quote:
Hey Quac, why does Bemidji pretty much never have a good hockey team? They are far larger than all the range cities and most of the north. I lived there for 5 years and could never figure it out. Kids just didnt care about hockey there. I remember the outdoor rinks were never used by high-school or bantam kids.

Well it's part of the coaching IMO that Bemidji had from 2001-2008 where we had players leaving because of disliking the coaches theory of hockey including me, I moved south (Faribault, I attended the deaf school there) and had way more fun. The coaches [bemidji] did not treat us very well, did not believe in the passing game, wanted everyone to hit more than scoring. They thought they were big shots playing for the Beavers...yeah, D-3 during their time, big deal. It wasn't fun playing hockey for them.

We had teams that we could have done something to be proud of but it all changed when we got to the HS level. State Tournament apperances in Pee Wee/Bantams are not uncommon for this town. I used to spend a lot of time at the outdoor with my buddies growing up but now to this day it's not the same, not many guys are hitting the outdoors.

no Centennial this year, anyone know if they had any potential this past year?

They had a pretty good year... Rated #6 before playoffs- 18-6-3 record losing in section semifinals to Maple Grove 3-2 OT, they went 1-1 head to head in the regular season. They beat a few good teams over the season and beat/tied Blaine (State bound). If you want to look more on their schedule with results goo-gle follow the puck.

no Centennial this year, anyone know if they had any potential this past year?

Yes they were one of the best teams in the state again this year and lost in the section semi-finals in OT.

I don't buy into the recruiting non-sense theory unless you're a MN team recruiting Canadian thugs to play high-school hockey in MINNESOTA for the sole purpose of making your team a hockey contender in a tournament "JV" you shouldn't be playing in anyway... grin....

Show some pride Warroad, Roseau DOES!

Go Roseau!

As for the whole recruiting issue, I believe how eligibility works for public schools is that the parent(s) or guardians have to live within the school district in order for a student to play sports at the high school level. A student can choose to transfer to another high school through open enrollment, but they lose a year of eligibility and can't compete in any sports.

I've always wondered about Bemidji, too. It's been a long time since big George Pelawa and the Lumberjacks were last in the tourney. Growing up in "greater" MN, I still like cheering for those teams.