• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where and when for carp?

Living in the northern part of MN, I have never had a chance to fish carp (I know their is a great population in and around the metro, but we don't have carp up here). My rough fishing is limited primarily to suckers (white and redhorse), bullheads, dogfish, and some limited channel cats. That said, I need to break into the carp game, so where might I start just to get in on the action? Specific dams and shore fishing opportunities would be preferable, along with techniques and when to go (month, time of day, etc.).

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

I definitely prefer later in the year for carp fishing. Faster water in rivers makes dead-baiting (just letting bait sit on the bottom), my favorite technique, difficult.

I can't help with any specific locations up north. If you're ever near the metro, one of the easier areas to get to and catch 'em that is a little northward is at the coon rapids dam regional park. Fish a ways away from the main dam, look for people fishing or fish breaking the surface. That said, my biggest carp from there (a big fatty in the mid to upper teens, crappy scale weighed it in at 15lbs but the weight estimation charts put it at 18-21 lbs) came from a muddy bottom where no one else was fishing and I saw no fish rolling.

My favorite technique involves a sinker (no roll, pyramid, or bank sinker) allowed to slide freely on your main line, and then attached to your main line is a barrel swivel, to which I tie about 6-12 inches of 25lb fluorocarbon. It's not needed by far, but it's the leader material that I have in abundance, and allows me to get a good hold of a leader to help land a fish. At the end of my leader I just have a circle hook with bait. Size really doesn't matter too much. With corn in very slack water I go with size 6 or 8 hooks, I've found it helps them not realize they're biting on metal. Just open a can of whole kernel sweet corn and put as many kernels on as you can fit. With nightcrawlers I'll up up to a 1/0, though bigger wouldn't be much of a problem. Those are the only two baits you need for carp fishing, though there are dozens of other things they'll eat, including home-recipe doughballs.

Really, it's as simple as sinker-hook-nightcrawler, cast out and let your bait sit. During the warmer months in very slow water, Every 10-30 seconds I'll give a crank or two to put a tiny bit of motion to my bait. I've seen carp zero in on moving bait , so they definitely can use their eyesight in the search for food. A little movement can't hurt as long as it doesn't spook the fish.

When I was in college I fished below a dam on the Cannon river for carp in springtime. Fast water basically dictated that bait fishing was a no-no, so I broke out twister tail grubs on round jigheads. I caught plenty of carp with that, but it's not as easy.

Carp can be caught all day, but mornings were always best for me, with evenings coming in second. I never caught any on a night bite, but that was probably due to a lack of night fishing more than anything since I only spent a few nights on the river last summer. I've seen pics on this forum of big carp caught at night.

Hey, thanks for all the detail, Mainbutter! Now, the million dollar question...do you eat carp? I have heard anything from "no, they are terrible," to "yes, they are awesome," to "they are fine if you smoke them." I would be willing to give them a try in any capacity, but (and forgive my ignorance) I have no idea what metro area waters are polluted and which are fine. That is the best part of living where I do--all waters are clean. Is this coon rapids dam/regional park area clean water? I know the clean water acts of the 80's and 90's have helped, but again, I am not familiar with any "southern" bodies of water or river systems.

I appreciate all the tips!

i really don't know any specific places around your area but if you're ever in the metro you should definately try the cannon river. you can go up to one pool on that river and catch fish all day. they are mostly carp but you will also catch smallies, white suckers, redhorse and a host of other species.

also, i wouldn't eat anything out of the CRD, but thats just me

Carp are the number one most consumed fish in the world if I'm not mistaken. I've never prepared and cooked carp but I bet plenty of those "McFish" sandwiches contain the species. I'm sure i've probably had it at some point in my life.

As for harvesting from CR, I wouldn't recommend it. But plenty of people do. Check with the DNR HSOforum for fish consumption advisories.

I recently got my copy of what's known as the roughfisher's bible: "Fishing For Buffalo". It has some recipes for carp, and they sound decent. If you like things that taste like fish, I'd certainly give eating them a try. Look up some recipes online or something, and hopefully you will get something yummy.

I wouldn't eat anything below the CRD, simply because it's them mississippi. I lived in Louisiana for a few years as a youth and I just always associate that river with everything disgusting and polluted and gross, but granted that is at the other end of the country and has had 1/2 our landmass's rivers pouring into it. The further north you can find carp, the better IMO.

Keep them alive as long as possible, transport them on ice, and you should be good for a tasty meal.

Also I've heard they have a "mud vein" that you want to remove during filleting, leaving it in makes for a bad tasting meal.

I'm sure that you can find plenty of good resources on how to fillet a carp with your favorite search engine, or also good is your favorite video sharing HSOforum.

Another thing about eating carp, as will all fish the smaller fish taste the best, but I think this goes double or even triple for carp. Keep 2-4lbers for the best tasting meat.

Thanks,everyone, for all your help. Time to do some research smile Does anyone on the forum eat carp, and what system would you keep them from without worry of pollution?

Roughfish29--any spefic area on the Cannon river (or any town nearby) to get me started in the right area? What month will you start fishing there?

Thanks again, everyone.

Quote:
Thanks,everyone, for all your help. Time to do some research Does anyone on the forum eat carp, and what system would you keep them from without worry of pollution?

The "pollution" you are talking about in most lakes is from Mercury (from burning coal). This is somthing mainly found in game fish (fish that eat fish). Go to the DNR site find the lake finder and search for your lake and others for for carp. The lake finder also shows the fish consumtion advisory on each lake.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/index.html

I just found some more stuff that looks good.

Quote:
NetFlix has Barry Reynolds DVD "The Flyrodders Guide to Carp". I just watched it and have to say it was better than I had expected. It has some nice footage of carp being landed on the fly rod, basics of fly fishing for carp and shows Barry tying four nice fly patterns. Worth checking out.

Lowell

Quote:
He also has another movie out called Urban Warfare

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

if you don't mind traveling check out clearwater lake by annandale it is the lake that produced the state record carp. i have seen all sizes out there but it has been years since I fished out there but am planning on trying to fish it more this summer. there is also numerous other fish like sunnies and bass and northerns so if you get bored with the carp there are other fish there to catch.