• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Happy Troller

Anybody out there happy with their trolling plate called "The Happy Troller"? After so many inquiries as to the price and availibity in my area, there was a guy who told me that he would not recommend it because if you forget to pull it up, the prop cavity would blow itself up. Any truth to that? What's the worst it could happen if you forget to pull it up and you rev the boat...?

I used one on a 25 horse. Worked good.
Its spring loaded so it pops up and locks up till you release it. I dont remember haveing to release anything when its in the down position. If I did it wanst any big deal.

We mounted one on the back of a Merc 260 i/o for salmon fishing Lake Michigan. If you did forget to raise the plate before plane, the plate flexes and bends out. It doesn't blow up. Over the years, we probably forgot to raise it 4 or 5 times. We would just bend the plate back down and it worked fine.

The replacement plates aren't that expensive.

Suddenly Summer. I have a 120 I/O Merc Cruiser. Would you recommend the Happy Troller for this? We usually fish the smaller lakes - largest being Big Cormorant and Pelican. Or would we be happier with a regular trolling motor?

------------------
Phyl