• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Steering Cable ?

MN Mike

My mind is starting to wander from ice fishing to open water and being back in the boat again.

Over the last couple years I beleive my steering is getting tougher and tougher, I grease it every year, just a pump or 2 but it doesn't seem to help.

I can be driving along, not making too big of adjustments on the steering but it's just like it sticks, sometimes not bad other times you have to just about reef on it to get it to move again.

Any ideas? Time for a new cable? It's a Lund Genmar 2450, with a 260 HP V8 and power steering.

Thanks

Mike

The first thing I'd do is to disconnect the cable from the clevis, back on the inside transom, to isolate the cable from the rest of the system and go from there. If it still is feeling tough then yes, replace the cable and inspect the helm for excessive wear. Most of the time, I recomend replacing the helm and cable as an assembly if the is any wear in the helm.

My cable gave me trouble when the temperature dropped. It would work fine all summer but in the fall when the air started getting colder (less than 50 degrees) my steering got real stiff. Replaced the cable and the problem went away. Too bad there isn't some way to lubricate those things.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll take a look at the helm too when I pull it out of storage here in a few weeks. If there is some wear in the helm, is that a Lund specific part or do they make aftermarket stuff for that too?

Valv, I love that boat too, my fishing on Lake of the Woods is pretty much confined to the weekend when I can make it so I don't want the wind to be too much of a factor when I do go and the extra room from the wide beam is GREAT.

Mike

It is not a Lund specific part. The helm and cable are probably Teleflex, you can find parts at any dealer/shop/store or order online too.

The only tough part of replacing cable is feeding the new one back underneath the gunnel of the boat.