• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Security cameras: RF or WiFi and cost?

MuleShack

Hi,

Have an issue in another thread but was looking for options on security cameras. A friend currently has 3 cheap RF cameras in her shop that broadcast sound and picture to a monitor in the house. These same cameras cut the WiFi signal from the router and make it useless.

Is there a type of camera out there that would broad cast with the router and send the signal to the network using the router?

Are there different frequency RF cameras out there that wouldn't interfere with a 2.4gh wireless signal?

These cameras are not for recording, but to monitor live feeds...she operates a dog boarding operation.

What are some inexpensive options to look at?

If one would go with a different frequency that might solve the problem, but at what cost?

If there is such a thing as a Wifi camera that would network "with" the router and send signal to the laptop in the house for monitoring? How else could you get the feed from the network to a TV or monitor with out more equipment?

She is looking at doing this with the least cost method.

Any insight would be helpful, as I have no experience with security cameras.

THanks

Get a dual-band N router and use the 5GHz band for WIFI instead of the 2.4GHz band. This would require a new router (~$100) and a 5GHz wireless adapter (~$50). I have seen refurbished ones cheaper. They do make WIFI cameras, but I don't know the cost. I would guess the router and adapter would be cheaper than the cameras, but not sure. Any reason you can't go to wired cameras?

By wired are you talking wired back to the router?

Wiring back to the house 70' or so and would still require different cameras plus the wiring install.

I'm hoping VALV checks in, I'd like to see what kind of cameras he got to solve the problem. I guess they are on a different freuency.

MShack, sorry for the delay. I forgot about this thread.

I went with wired cameras, I only had approx 100ft of distance and bought a set with RCA jacks and standard small coax wire. I saw different types that were guaranteed not to interfere but they DID interfere with my budget ( I am a cheapo guy) and I gave up the wireless idea.

Now, recently I bought a wireless Pan Tilt and Zoom camera with wireless and it works fine. The advantage of the PTZ is they rotate, tilt, and zoom. Practically 1 camera does all the 3 others do but with a small delay (rotating around the yard takes few seconds).

Nice part it can be remotely controlled via Internet. It meas you can be at the cabin and control the camera or view it from your internet browser. Downside they are a little more expensive and takes a little bit of computer networking knowledge to set it up with no problems, if you have a "nerdy" friend it will help a lot ..... :grin grin

Send me an email I'll send a link

Thanks Valv,

I found a couple different varieties out there.

First one I was interested in was the Linksys N wifi camera. I found one in the store but after reading the box (which they dont tell you online) is that the internet monitoring is extra charge. This one was non rotating and $130.

Panasonic had some decent cameras with optical zoom that would pan and tilt and had sound too for like $230 per camera. The one that had sound 2 ways was like $289.

Then I checked into recording options and to get one license to record one camera to pc was like $300 with the panasonic software. Way too outrageous in price yet, but the convenience for installation would be nice.

I was able to use an old phone wire to hook up an ethernet conncection between the house and shop so she has a hard wired network running now. She wants to stay with the current RF cameras for a while (not in the budget type thing) but its good to get out and do some research on new technology.

Now I'm looking for cameras for my self grin

LIMTOUT I purchased the Menards wireless cameras on sale last spring and I found they are just not that good in quality. I took them back. They may have come out with new ones (kit was $30 some dollars, normally $90.), but I am just not a huge fan when it comes to wireless security camera service. Just do a Google of "

Wifi, Bluetooth, Wireless Video Jammer" and you can see how cheap some devices are that have the potential to scrambler the wireless signal being transmitted. If using them to just see who is at the front door or injunction with a security system, they would be ok for me. I would make sure your warning stickers you place around the house not say "Protected by a wireless camera security system". wink

I went with a wired monitoring system also. I have had it going since about 05 and it works great. I have updated it some, but I run the AV inputs to a module that produces AV & USB outputs. USB goes to my recording and monitoring device and the AV splits and goes to the living room and master bed room. When the security lights are triggered, I hear something, or the door bell rings, I flip on the input channel of either TV and see what is going on. The only thing I lack is the ability to stop the rotation of cameras or speed it up. Plus is it a black and white system, but does show images pretty well in the dark.

075f53d4.jpg

If it the look of a wired camera that has you concerned, or even the difficulty of installation, it is not bad at all. Only take a couple more minutes than mounting the wireless camera.