• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing in Minnesota?

hello folks
I am coming to Minnesota in 3 months and taking a Beachcaster and tripod,
I am used to Beach Fishing in the UK, and havent done any Fresh water fishing for 20 years or so, and I was wondering if there are any Shore Fishing Tournements or Leagues or do people fish from the Lake sides??
are there any Shore/Bank fishing Clubs?
I wondered if anybody had experience of Catfish or the heavier
type of fishing there, also the Mississippi River there!
also is it legal to use lead weights in USA Rivers or Lakes? ie 3oz to 5oz weights etc
and is there any comercial alternatives to lead that people use like steel weights.
regards Malcolm

Malcom,
Here in Minnesota there are a lot of possibilities for shore fishing. Many lakes have parks with plenty of shoreline and some even have fishing piers that are open to anyone. Actually. you can fish almost anywhere you want as long as the land you are standing on is public and not private.
If you are looking for catfish, I would sugjest posting your question on the Catfish forum. Fishhead and Dark30 will be more than happy to point you in the right direction, they might even take you fishing if you ask nicely smile.gif
Good luck on your fishing here in Minnesota.

P.S.-
Yes, lead weights are allowed and most tackle and bait shops carry lead alternatives as well.

------------------
>"////=<
Gull Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/gullguide
Brainerd-Mille Lacs-Willmar
Bemidji-Ottertail

[This message has been edited by GullGuide (edited 04-06-2002).]

Malcolm just wondering is shore/bank clubs apretty common way to fish in the UK never heard of it in the states anywhere? what part of minnesota you coming to because here in mpls grew up fishing the mississippi river never did real good on the cats but if you like carp fishing you'll have a ball tons and tons of them in the river.

Malcolm,

You will love the freshwater fishing here in MN. So many places to go and so many fish to catch. I am new to the area but every lake I fish has a lot of fish to catch. I have not fished the river yet but I know it has a lot of great catfish in it. The people at work say to give the Minnesota River a try.

I surf fish a lot in Cape Hatteras, NC and use old Abu Garcia 6500 Sport Rockets with 12' Loomis rods. What are the hot reels that you use in England these days and what do they cost? What about rods? I fish with 3-8 oz. of lead with 2-3 oz. cut bait for red drum and stripers.

hello
we have fishing Clubs that control the River banks her in the UK, they rent the Fishing rights from Landowners and Councils etc.
and charge for permits to fish, and Clubs and people organise Lake and River tourneyments and Clubs also have Leagues.
for the Sea Fishing theres no License or Permits required in the UK, but we do have local Clubs in most towns, and also various County wide and National Leagues, I belong to the ISAC "Individual Sea Anglers Club" thats a mostly South Coast Club and we have monthly matches at various places, in Dorset and Hampshire, with League tables and Cash prizes for the matches and also for end of season prizes, with sponserships to.
the most popular Reel for Sea Fishing here in the UK is the Abu Garcia 6500 C3 CT Mag Elite, when that came out in 98 everybody bought them, we also have Penn 525s GS and Mag versions, plus various others including Daiwa 7HTs, but the ABUs rule the beaches.
for the more dedicated hardcore Angler.
rods for serious Surfcasting are either 12 or 13 plus foot long, Multiplier rods for the more keen types, but a lot of people also use large fixed spools for the beach too. some people cant cope with night casting with multipliers, but once you get used to it, its easier in my opinion.
Rods cost 100 pound upwards here for decent ones, up to say 300 pounds for top range Rods,
most people pay 150 for mail order Rods, we also use Tripods rarther than Sand Spikes as they are more stable in the wind and keep the rods up higher. plus if you are Match fishing you can keep 3 Rigs baited up for quick change when re-casting out, we use swivels and rig clips.
so reel in, detach, clip on new, cast in less than a minute. need to do that for speed fishing when the Fish are there.
I myself have a Zziplex Quattra Sport, plus a Daiwa STXS130PM, and just have got rid of a DAM Hyperon Pendulem to a mate.
didnt want to take too many rods to the USA with me, when emmigrate there in June, I also have smaller rods of 9 and 6 foot, for spinning and float work. but to the avergae person on the UK Beach anything less than 9 foot long feels like a toy rod, wink.gif, with our tides and the wind and the weather you need heavy rods to fish here, on the beaches.
plus with our double high tides here in the Solent ( south caost of England) we also have nasty Seaweed in the summer, so need heavy Weights/ Sinkers, also gripped.
for all the heavy tackle we use we dont have many big fish, which is ironic, overfishing by Trawlers etc.
regards malcolm

regards malcolm

hello Tim
I am going to live in Waseca, Waseca County.
there are 4 lakes in the Town or the Town is built around 4 lakes, take your pick lol.
should be fun to learn about the fishing there.
regards malcolm

------------------
¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸
LED Headlamps and SeaFishingUK
www.geocities.com/malc_hurn
[email protected]
[email protected]

Hello malcolm I think your gonna Love living in mn Land of ten thousand Lakes. number1 almost all public lakes and rivers. can't beleive got to belong to a fishing club to go fishing although you do have to buy a fishing licence. after 30 days your a resident then you won't need to buy a nonresident. were just wrapping up are ice fishing season waiting for the open water season to get back in the boat to do some fishing. as for your fishing there are miles and miles of shore fishing just about anywhere in the state. some places charge a fee to launch your boat. but other wise you can pretty much pick a lake or river and go fishing day or night rain or shine.sounds like you got some serious fishing tackel. I don't think you'll need for most of the fishing most people do around here standard 6ft rod spinning reel spooled with 6-10 pd line is pretty much the norm but if your gonna be targeting some of those BIG CATS we got swimming in the rivers you will be needing some heavy duty tackel but sure is fun catching a big hog on light spinning tackel. well gotta get going malcolm Good Fishing Tim

hello Tim L
we belong to Clubs to fish against each other for points and or cash prizes.
various local small Clubs do this mostly for fun, but there are bigger Leagues and big open competitions, for mega bucks, not as big as the Bass events in the USA, but getting there.
The Fresh water Clubs rent the Fishing rights on the rivers as tennants from the landowners etc, but the Sea is open.
I belong to the ISAC http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mrix2000/
my Club HSOforum.
I missed the last club match so not on the results board frown.gif
regards malcolm

------------------
LED Headlamps and SeaFishingUK
www.geocities.com/malc_hurn
[email protected]
[email protected]

Malcom,
There is one really good spot I know of that is excellent for shore fishing for catfish. It's on the misssissippi river at prairie island at lock and dam #4, just above the dam. I've Fished there before and have caught some realy nice size catfish.
Jim

Malcolm-

I'm not to sure about catching "cats", but some GREAT shore fishing can be had in & around the Duluth, MN area on Lake Superior wink.gif

***Up around the French, Lester, & Sucker rivers, you can hook into several species of native & stocked trout (Rainbows, Kamloops, Steelhead, Lake Trout & Koho Salmon).

In and around the St. Louis River you can get into Walleyes & Northern Pike!

The rod & real that you use would be good to go & with a little $$$ investment for ***stamp, lures & bait, your set to go.......

***A Minnesota Trout & Salmon stamp, $8.50, is also required for fishing Trout & Salmon.

Here is a link to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/

Welcome to MINNESOTA-- Land of 10,000 Lakes!

Good Luck!

Later... cool.gif Dugan!!!

[This message has been edited by Jozie-Dugan (edited 04-14-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Jozie-Dugan (edited 04-16-2002).]